Using direct output

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Using direct output

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mrvoltz Mrvoltz 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of johnc
    johnc
    Participant

On a GLD-80 I would like to set up one input channel to send its output pre-fader to 2 auxes and a direct output but NOT the MAIN..
    I assume the 2 pre-fader mix setup is straightforward. Then I assume the MAIN mix is clicked OFF on that input channel. So then is the level of the direct output controlled by the fader that would normally control the MAIN send?

Otherwise how do you set this up?

Profile photo of Scott A&H
    Scott A&H
    Participant

Hi,
    The level control for a Direct Out is on the PROCESSING Page / Routing / Direct Out.
    The Output point can also be changed here on a small Pull Up Menu – DIR OUT SRC.

Profile photo of johnc
    johnc
    Participant

Let me supply a little more detail.
    The pulpit mike in our sanctuary is poorly placed (just under the main hall speaker) and feedback is a major problem with soft spoken speakers. I have a DBXpro speaker processor and I want to use one of its input streams to take advantage of its automatic feedback processor just for the pulpit mike. I now send the pulpit mike input to a recording aux and a radio aux and of course to the MAIN aux.
    I have not found an FX processor that is as good as the DBXpro so my great idea was to break the pulpit to MAIN send and send that through the DBXpro via its unused b channel, use the auto feedback processor on that channel and then mix it back into the main speakers using the a+b mix within the DBXpro. Of course I need to have a fader available on the console to set the pulpit mike level that ultimately finds its way to the MAIN speakers. Thus a console fader available in the direct output line.
    I suppose the only way to do this is to commit another aux to the pulpit mike input and send its output via the AR2412 to the DBXpro and use that aux as the “input” level control.

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

The Direct out can be post fader if you like, but this sounds like a very complicated way of doing things, I would address the the mic settings themselves to help reduce feedback. Adjusting the PEQ to the room can reduce feedback dramatically, a slight angle change on the mic, or perhaps a different mic with a more directional pickup pattern. And maybe it’s time to address mic vs speaker placement, starting with a bad situation only makes it worse.
    Most feedback processors are just going to turn down or off the offending frequency temporarily making for an inconsistent sound.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.