Using Audio Racks via layer 2 switch

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Using Audio Racks via layer 2 switch

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ryan Ryan 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of markrosssmith
    markrosssmith
    Participant

I would like to be able to use an AR84 with a QU16 for an installation

On the understanding that the AR84 can be connected to the QU16 via a layer 2 switch, can I also connect an AR2412 to the same switch and benefit from both units’ IO?

For example, the AR84 would be used more often as a fixed part of the system, but expansion with more IO (in a different location) would be required on occasion, and this would be connected back to the desk, via the same switch.

In short, I’m trying to get around the fact that the AR84 only has a single expansion port.

Thanks

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

No, though if it is a managed switch and are okay with burning 2 ports for the AR2412 so that both the expansion and dSnake ports are connected to the switch, you might be able to set up routing (separate VLANs?) so that traffic from the AR84 goes to the expansion port of the AR2412, then the dSnake port traffic would get routed to the QU16. If you connect both stageboxes directly to the switch without anything to keep the packets they are sending separate, they’ll probably interfere with each other — it looks like the way the expander port works is that the packets coming in from the 2nd stagebox get added as part of the packets the main stagebox is sending to the mixer.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.