User Restrictions

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions User Restrictions

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of L.H. Brown
    L.H. Brown
    Participant

I need to be able to set users who can route in and out with the digital snake, but I also need to be able to keep those same users from adjusting the “behind the scenes” settings like gain, etc. Currently the “standard” user level is the exact opposite of what I need.

Can you add a user level that is fully configurable? That is where I can select specific areas to block them from?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What routing changes would they need to do?
    Could the routing configurations be preset and saved to scenes that the “standard” users
    could access.

L.H. Brown
    Participant

We’re a church and our mic needs change from week to week. Often we need to use the snake and portable stage box to get enough inputs in the right part of the chancel (since the inputs were spaced evenly and there are only twelve hardwired). Neither a basic or standard user can change the input to the stage box, nor can they do anything with the mix levels for our monitors. I’m usually busy when they set up the mics and do the sound test, so I don’t want to have to drop what I’m doing to change the routing for them. And experience has shown that if they have access to all the “fun” dials and knobs, they’ll use them and completely throw off the sound profile that we designed for this space.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@L.H. Brown

You get three levels of control.
    AFAIK you do not get to select within those levels what they can do or not do.

And yes anybody who can make changes will:)

Your best bet is consider other alternatives. Like planning ahead and routing things the day before or come in earlier to do it.
    ASIDE: I find it hard to believe that any church has to make that many significant changes in routing every week.
    Most just use the stage every week and the stage mikes are fixed, plus we have other stage inputs for DI box or other specials.
    Perhaps you need a few RF mikes.

L.H. Brown
    Participant

I thought I was posting to the suggestions for new features forum. I’m not asking if there’s currently a way to do what I want, I know there is not. I’m asking for this feature to be added to the next firmware update.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@L.H. Brown

Two messages back it seemed like you needed it.
    I replied to that message.

As to feature suggestion:
    It is not feasible. Won’t happen on the Qu.
    Maybe in the next generation they might do it.

Many people would like it to be fully selectable about who can do what AND when especially with pads involved too.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

We’re a church and our mic needs change from week to week. Often we need to use the snake and portable stage box to get enough inputs in the right part of the chancel (since the inputs were spaced evenly and there are only twelve hardwired). Neither a basic or standard user can change the input to the stage box, nor can they do anything with the mix levels for our monitors. I’m usually busy when they set up the mics and do the sound test, so I don’t want to have to drop what I’m doing to change the routing for them. And experience has shown that if they have access to all the “fun” dials and knobs, they’ll use them and completely throw off the sound profile that we designed for this space.

Wouldn’t they also need to get the channel gain and EQ if the input sources are changing along with the input patch changes?

As has been said here before, fixing people problems with hardware is not that easy.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Channel routing and gain control are absolutely linked together. This is because the gain setting is not set at the channel level, but rather at the preamp level. Premaps are located in the physical input’s circuitry. So the preamp for channel 1 of the AB168 box is located in the channel 1 circuitry of the stagebox. The preamp for channel 12 of the AB168 box is located in the channel 12 circuitry of the stagebox. The preamp for the physical input 1 on the console is located in the channel 1 circuitry of the console, etc, etc, etc. Therefore if a user changes a channel to use a different source, the preamp will also change to the preamp in the new source. So users absolutely need to be able to change the gain setting because it will change when the source is changed. The only way to prevent this is to set all of the preamps to the same gain setting and then only use trim to control the gain structure (if the QU series even has a trim function – I don’t know if it does or doesn’t). Not only is that a weird way of handling your gain structure, I’d have to assume that any lockout feature that prevented a user from changing the gain control would also prevent a user from changing the trim control.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.