User permissions on QU-24

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions User permissions on QU-24

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giga Giga 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Hi
    We just recently got a QU-24 in our church. To bring some level of security I want to have just one Administrator and the other sound techs as Standard users. Will this be too restrictive i.e. is there any adjustments a sound tech would need to do during a church service that would be prohibited or blocked as a Standard user?
    The user manual doesn’t really give details of what exactly a Standard user can’t do that the Admin can

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Iirc it’s configurable, but the show restore function is rather useful 😉

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

What is Lirc Bob?
    I know its configurable but not sure what exactly Standard users are Not able to do

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

That’s not an L it’s an I capitalised by an aggressive iPad… (You’d have thought that with i*** being a common format they’d leave it alone)

IIRC – If I Recall Correctly.

Section 7.4 of the manual should be your friend.

You can prevent changes to various mixes, restrict the user to the custom layer (so they don’t have access to faders you don’t want them to have) and restrict which scenes they can recall.

I’d test what happens on boot up – especially if you shut down (try an unclean shutdown as well) from an admin user, is it still logged in on reboot?

Profile photo of DrDave
    DrDave
    Participant

What is too restrictive in one church may be too permissive in another – I have a similar situation where I want the standard users to have free rein as much as possible, but not able at all to affect the setup on power-up for the really basic users (mic faders and mutes on the custom layer only). In your situation I would start by defining your objectives and, from that, laying out the process that you want your operators to follow.

During a service (live operation) your operators have no need to change the system configuration. The only thing that I have not been able to do within the Standard User is to change the configuration parameters of the Effects engines.

There are a number of tricks to enable you to lock down your processes which aren’t found in the manual – the best way is to test ideas out. I have protected the scenes used by the Basic Users by locking them out from editing by the Standard Users. Again, to make sure that the Basic users start in a guaranteed stable state when powering up, I have put a very simple password on the Standard user. No-one has had an issue with any of this, or pushed back on not having “admin” access.

However, other churches may be different. If you still have errors in your basic setup, or if your culture is to permit anyone to make up or change the rules at will, then you may well find that Admin access is still necessary.

Dave

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

We started off looking at this, but the Roland has a nice “power on to this scene” feature, so we just locked that scene to prevent accidental overwrites (and yes I do have a backup offiste).
    The beauty of the digital desk is that the faders are there, and labelled, and nothing else obvious needs touching.

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

The screen shot at bottom of Section 7.4 shows a number of functions/operations that can be allowed or blocked such as FX sends,mixes,QU recording etc.
    On our church QU24 all functions are ticked as Allowed. But the output patch for multitrack recording was blocked so Standard user couldn’t change the channels being recorded. And also the selection of the source was blocked (local dsnake or usb) so it isn’t possible to play the recording back through the Qu Drive usb.
    Is there a way of allowing a Standard user to do these things i.e. change channel numbers to be recorded and change the source??

Profile photo of John J
    John J
    Participant

OK. We just recently switched to a QU 32. Yesterday, I couldn’t figure out how to get to scenes beyond 1-7. I looked up on the manual and it suggested the permissions weren’t there. So I created a login for Admin. Everything was fine yesterday. I come in this morning, and now whatever scenes I access via standard or admin login are completely blank. Somehow, I was able to bypass that and access my scenes for church today. However, I can no longer modify any Mix sends in the master control section. This is quite angst ridden, because I cannot afford to lose the scenes, do not need the logins, but need to access scenes beyond 1-7. How can I undo what I did yesterday (meaning no password for admin, access already existing scenes, utilize Mix sends from master control again)?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

That can’t be as the admin account doesn’t have a “access scene x to scene y” option. Are you absolutely sure you are loggod on as admin ?

Giga

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.