use USB DAW as effects?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions use USB DAW as effects?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jay
    jay
    Participant

Is it possible, or even worth it, to try and use an external DAW like protools on a desktop linked to the QU24 via USB to apply effects etc on channels?

Or can it somehow be linked to a Waves package of some sort?

Also, can new efx be added to the QU? like is there a waves package that can be installed into the QU?

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Jay
    I think it’s technically possible but from what I understand the latency is too high to be of use. I could be wrong though. And no you cannot add FX to the QU series – A&H leave that, quite rightly, for their higher end products. The new SQ range has this feature and isn’t vastly more expensive than the QU series but keep in mind that the plug-ins carry a $ cost. I’m just waiting for the SQ PAC 🙂

Profile photo of jay
    jay
    Participant

ah, so the SQ Pac may be able to be mixed by the faders on the qu?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

USB DAW as effects

I have done exactly this.
    Using a Mac and not recording using Reaper.
    There is of course the latency scenario but if youre into reverbs and doubling and some other efx

Have to be careful and know your routing in Reaper though.

Profile photo of jay
    jay
    Participant

yeah, that’s what I was hoping to do, is verbs, and vocal doubling. I want to play around with things offline first, but if they work, thought it would be nice to route the “efx” to a channel, then have that channel linked into the qu24 and just use it as added effect… But I wasn’t sure how the latency would hurt me.

Have you done vocal layering? I wanted to try it out and see how it sounds, but I have 5 vocalists, that are all “lead” so to speak, so that may get to big to fast… But I didn’t want to go to far down that path, if it was not possible to use live anyway…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Reverbs should be no problem, lower the predelay
    same on delay fx

channel inserts will not really work, master compression depends on the venue

latency is around 15 too 20ms (don’t remember the exact value)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Correct Channel inserts never worked for me however you can mix the DAW efx ITB [in the box]
    and return that mixed master efx via a stereo channel back into the QU. In my case I used 31/32 as return. The wet signals.
    And I did use a plugin called [Rea] Fatna [from memory] which is a doubling kind of efx on vocal.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.