use qu16 as monitor before FOH

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions use qu16 as monitor before FOH

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nilsemil
    nilsemil
    Participant

hi. going on small tour. want to patch all channels into a qu16 on stage to run two IEM mixes on stage. also record shows on multitrack

how would i still be able to send all channels to FOH separately.

too much fuzz to be worth it?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

You only real solution is a psssive or active splitter system with an analog snake to FOH. It would be nice if AH had a solution to take the monitor path and have a receiver unit to hook into either an analog snake or USB receiver. In GLD and up you can do it using DANTE or ACE.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

This is when you haul out your MixWiz…

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

If you have fewer than 12 channels then you could just rout each to its own output at line level, but it potentially loses gain control etc. If you are using ME-Q onstage then why not just give the QU to FOH?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

As well as being a full-time musician I also do some part time PA hire were possible in venues of all sizes, my colleague who I do this other role with uses an X32, keep trying to get him to move over to the QU, but so far I haven’t managed to persuade him. I have tried to get on with the X32 iPad app to do monitors whilst my colleague sits at FOH, but I am not a fan of the X32’s workflow and just find it slow and clunky, using the app you cannot just swipe left or right as per QU-pad, you have to physically tap each individual group of 8 channels to be able to work on them. A lot slower in my opinion.

So what we have done is bought two passive 8 channel mic splitters and sent one signal to the X32 at FOH and the other sends into my QU-SB for me to do monitors, this setup works really well, it leaves my mate to concentrate solely on FOH and leaves me to get all those on stage the monitor mixes they desire. The only downside is the extra cabling that is needed for this to work.

The other problem I was finding and one that pushed me in the direction we are now heading in, was, my mate at FOH seemed to be running his channel gains quite conservatively which gave me problems at the stage end as I could never get enough volume out of the wedges for the performers, or for those that like a loud monitor. Due to gain stage sharing this was causing all manner of grief for me, but now by using my QU-SB I can get the monitors as loud as the performer wants, or within reason before feedback.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of nilsemil
    nilsemil
    Participant

so, the new SQ is able to do this then?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes, the SQ supports gigaACE, so you can join two desks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.