use mix 5-7-9 as mono auxes

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions use mix 5-7-9 as mono auxes

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LeGingy LeGingy 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of litti
    litti
    Participant

I guess it’s been asked before: I’d like to have the possibility to have 7 mono aux mixes instead of 4 mono and 3 stereo by using mix outs 5-7-9 as mono (which I already do, at the cost of keeping almost everything panned at center, except drums overhead mics)

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

You know that the Pan for L&R does not alter the Pan of 6&7 etc? Each stereo Mix has its own independent Pan.

The only problems are with the 3 Stereo Inputs, which have a Balance control, rather than Pan.

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

I’m guessing what litti means is that if you have a mic panned hard right for the FOH, a monitor mix on 5 or 7 or 9 won’t be fed that channel as it’s going only to the R side (6,8,10). So he has to keep everything pretty much center panned so that it’s available for the 5,7,9 outputs.

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

It’s a bit nasty but I guess you could use an XLR Y-splitter in reverse:

QU MIX 5 Out —¬
    }—XLRTo Monitor
    QU MIX 6 Out —-

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

It’s a bit nasty but I guess you could use an XLR Y-splitter in reverse:

I don’t think so. Splitters are for splitting. If you want to combine signals you need a summing circuit, otherwise you get nasty stuff, soundwise.

Profile photo of Andy
    Andy
    Participant

@BRS … that’s not the case … as MarkPAman wrote… the panning for FOH doesn’t have anything to do with the panning for the monitors. If you leave the pans for the mixes 5-6, 7-8, 9-10 in the center psosition,the channel is fed to both sides of the stereo mix. If you connect your monitor amp only to the left or the right output you’ll get exactly the same signal as from every mono mix. The only exception are the stereo inputs and the efx returns. From these channels you get only the left (mix 5,7,9) or the right (mix 6,8,10). But as I use the stereo inputs only for music playback during the breaks and I avoid sending effects to the monitor, this is no problem for me. I once did a monitormix with 10 mono mixes (1-4, 5,7,9, GRP1, GRP3 and LEFT) with the QU24 😉 There’s no need for a combiner.

Profile photo of litti
    litti
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies… I almost always use the QU with a AR2412 stage box, keep stereo channel 1 (17/18) as local stereo in for my laptop but often use st2 and 3 on the stage box (channels 19/20 and 21/22) as keyboard or sequencer stereo inputs panned hard L and R, so when sent to e.g. stereo aux 5-6 and only mix out 5 is connected to a wedge, only the L part of those stereo channel will go to the wedge. Same for other panned instruments like OH’s, toms, brass or choir sections, you name it.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

“Same for other panned instruments like OH’s, toms, brass or choir sections, you name it.”

But only if you use the stereo inputs for them. The other inputs, even if paired, allow you to pan all (stereo) Mix sends independently of each other & L&R.

Profile photo of wolferl
    wolferl
    Participant

Ist also possible to use a small cheap summing cable with resistors. There are several hints and wiring diagrams in the net to do this – important is the use of resistors to avoid damages of the Output circuit.

Profile photo of LeGingy
    LeGingy
    Participant

I would use this function in mono… tap once of mix 5, tap twice for mix 6 SIMPLE! 😍

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.