Use AR2412 outputs as extra inputs?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Use AR2412 outputs as extra inputs?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andre S Andre S 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Hi guys and girls,

on an analog multicore I can easily convert outputs to inputs using XLR adaptors on both sides of the snake. Wouldn´t it be great to be able to do the same on the AR2412? Most of the time I have 4 outs for Monitor and 2 for the LR. That would leave me 6 additional inputs, it they where assignable as inputs…easy in the analog world – hard to programm in digital? Maybe the SLink protocol doesn´t allow such things…

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

Buy an ab168 and you have inputs enough.

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Yeah, I could also buy a GX 4824, use the giga ACE card and have multiple DX168…plenty of options. The issue is money. And I am married. 🙂
    An XLR Adaptor costs me €7,90.

You don´t think that it would be great, if we all had the option to convert inputs to outputs and vice verse? A bit like the AUX/GROUP options: 24/12 could be changed to 26/10 or 30/6…

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

„Behind“ the XLR input sockets there are AD converter and behind the Output sockets there ad DA converter in the Stagebox. You can‘t change a DA converter to a AD converter. Thats impossible. So forget the idea.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Andre,

This is not possible on any of our I/O expanders.

The reason being is that the input preamp, output circuit and the AD/DA is actually in the stage box, so you aren’t using the hardware in the console like you would be in an analogue system.

For this to be possible in the digital world, you would need a circuit for every possible input and output, along with the converters, so this would actually double to cost of an expander as there is double the hardware.

I hope this makes sense!

Alex

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Oh, right. The convters…I didn´t think about them. Ok, I´ll burry my hopes in grief!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.