Use all 24 mic pres from AR2412

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Use all 24 mic pres from AR2412

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dick Rees Dick Rees 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of smetaxas
    smetaxas
    Participant

Is there enough DSP available to possibly route the extra 8 mic pres from the AR2412 to the custom channel? Would be nice to have all 24 channels working normally.

Profile photo of OPW_TES
    OPW_TES
    Participant

This would be a nice option

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Doubt that can be done unless they open up the engine if it has that capability. Then why would they call it a QU16?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

If you have not tried it with a 2412 connected to the QU you actually have 22 mic channels. The ST1-3 become 17-22 on the 2412. Set them to Dsnake in the source window and you have 6 more channels although they are hard L&R stereo. Plenty of gain. I just tried an SM58 and there is more than sufficient gain. Those could be used a stereo keys, piano or guitar, stereo drums or other source.

So with a 2412 the QU-16 is a 22 channel mic mixer….

Profile photo of strat
    strat
    Participant

No not really, it is only a 19 channel mixer, And if you are using those stereo channels, make sure that you use y cables otherwise it will only come through 1 side of your p.a.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

My point is this. On an analog console if you have stereo keys, piano, guitar. Drum OH. Something like those you would eat up 2 channels. Same thing here. So now you CAN have 3 stereo channels or what would have been 6 channels on your analog desk. So therefore it IS a 22 channel mixer. Now those first 16 can be mono sources.

Profile photo of strat
    strat
    Participant

Still only a 19 channel mixer. I like it, But I would prefer all mono channels…not a big need for 3 stereo channels.

Profile photo of eurobuie
    eurobuie
    Participant

I would think this is also possible. there is enough DSP for the qu-drive. maybe qu-drive could be limited on high channel counts. Yamaha LS9-16 becomes a 32 channel desk with addition of rio, granted that’s in a different price range, but i don’t see why we can’t push for it : )

eurobuie
    Participant

I realize this has been several years, but i really would like this feature. 8 more mono channels with automixing. if the console could become a 24 channel or even more( allow local and remote inputs) it would be very, very helpful especially if the automix is included on the extra channels. I have several needs for 20 to 24 channels of automix plus a couple of stereo inputs for conference room setup / portable rack. even a more expensive console would be fine. but has to be rack mount with 20 to 24 channels of automix.

thanks!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I don’t mean to be snarky but you basically are asking for 7lbs of sugar in a 5lb bag. Why can’t we just squeeze it in? I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. Point is the QU16 mixes 22 channels. Period. 16 mono and 3 stereo. That’s it. If you want what you say them spring for a QU24.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

The analog advantage was and is the ability to simply throw a few of your favorite outboard pieces in a rack and have a flexible feature set depending on the task du jour.
    Need 8 channels of auto-mix? Rack up a pair of SCM410’s, connect them through a stereo input…you’re golden. Need multi-band compression on a group or the mains bus? A couple of Triple-C’s inserted, again…golden. Need to sub-mix the kit? A small mix-pad tucked into a drawer in the work box fed into another stereo in…golden.

Need more output feeds? A Rane “Swiss Army” line splitter/combiner, one rack space, 2 stereo outs/6 mono outs or other config. Golden. My MixWiz 14:4:2 with these options could do 42 inputs. I can still integrate most of this stuff with the Qu-16 as needed.

I’d say suck it up, pay for what you need and stop whining. This whole “entitlement” stuff is juvenile bordering on childish.

/rant

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes.. Sub-mix the kit and bring it back into the stereo channels.
    OR buy another QU16 to use as a sub-mixer.
    Actually some of the best sounding kits [outside I have heard are from really simple microphone techniques’. 3 microphones]

Then you have an instant back-up as well. 😐

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

As I understand it there simply isn’t the DSP to make it a 24 mono + 3(6) stereo channel desk.

The 22 channel option is useful though (and I have used all of them for a theatrical production where the band kept growing on us)…
    Yes – a couple of them are somewhat limited (since the L/R of stereo channels can’t have independent eq etc. but it’s actually fine – I think we had two keyboards and a pair of overhead drum mics in those channels)

DCA’s together the horn section and the strings sections – then put out a sensible customer layer.
    The band was in a rehearsal space across the road – we strung up a pair of fibres and ran dSnake over one (dSnake didn’t like being trunked between them) and the three video feeds over the other…

eurobuie
    Participant

Dick / GCumbee /

in response to the suck it up comments and entitlement. I did say a more expensive console would be fine. but what console will do 20 or 24 channels of auto mix and fit in a rack? the qu24 will not so why suggest it? I do not feel entitled to it and I already have a working system for the purpose that has been used for several years and yes it involves sub-mixing. I’m looking to technology to save setup time and rack space and to be a more slick solution. The qu16 is very close to doing it, but not quite. A more expensive desk would be fine if it fit in a rack. Ideally something that doesn’t cost 10k. – QL1 plus dugan card for the extra channels could work but my needs are very basic besides the automix part so hard to justify the 10k – a 5k solution Sure. If anybody has a solution? The rack is to be moved around and left connected hints the rack mount size. Technology is always changing and getting better and more powerful and this is a competitive market. i don’t understand why somebody would criticize for asking. its just asking. The qu16 has been sold with the idea that it can be updated to have more features as the need arises and to keep it competitive. the small console market is fairly competitive now and updates have become the norm. to keep up with the competition all consoles are adding features if they can. Digico (granted not in this price range) have nearly doubled the capacity of their consoles on both the input and output side for free or with cheap updates. Yamaha / Soundcraft can double the # inputs with stage boxes (Rio / Tio boxes) The rack mount x32 works that way also. Remember a lot of competition in the low end market. Its just a suggestion to make this console another step above the competition. If its a real hardware limitation then that’s fine, its a very good console for the price. My money on this project will go to whoever comes up with slickest solution first. (I’ve bought several of these desks in other places I’ve worked. fantastic little console especially for the price)

eurobuie
    Participant

Computer processing is cheap now days. physical IO, Head amps, power supplies, ect are not. having a stage box disable the built in Head amps and processings seems a bit old fashioned.. sure there have to be some limits especially on this price point of a console. but lets try to keep these consoles as competitive and useful as possible by asking for things. isn’t that what this forum is for?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.