USB to USB-B or Line Out to Line In for playback from PC to Qu-24

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions USB to USB-B or Line Out to Line In for playback from PC to Qu-24

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

If it’s USB it will be a sound card, even if it is a “soft” sound card.

But we’re back in semantics now 😉

And I think they’d only help in a search… The USB box will contain a DAC, but it will also contain other gubbins.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

I do a lot of one-shot shows with same-day load-in so normally I just use the mini-plug out of one of my playback laptops to play music or sound cues necessary. I’ll either go into the ST 3 or use a mini-to-dual 1/4″ adapter into one of the stereo channels or even channels 15/16 linked together (so I can have quick access to their faders while on the top layer).
    The issues Andreas brought up about noise induced by computer power supplies was something that I had experienced consistently many years ago but nowadays I have almost never experienced this same noise issue. I think that computer power supplies and integrated sound cards have improved dramatically, to the point where I never think twice about connecting a computer via mini jack to my console. To be prepared for a problem on a job I do carry a Rolls Buzz Off, which is a small, inexpensive transformer box that does a perfect job of cleaning up any power-induced noise. I’ve not had to use it for a while but I still carry it all the same.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I experience it every week at church – the laptop has to be running on battery – it can’t be a ground loop because it’s double insulated – it’s a PSU hiss…

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

That is definitely the least expensive way to take care of that PSU hum.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes – and it’s also perfectly easy to arrange…

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.