USB Streaming (USB B)

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting USB Streaming (USB B)

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 58 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alex A&H Alex A&H 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Thanks, Nicola!

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

Nicola is nicely reiterating Allen & Heath’s policy of continually improving and updating their product at no charge, one of the reasons I have stuck with this brand. He is addressing ONLY possibly adding signal tap points (always a nice feature) in the future, and I agree with his comment about recording workflow preferences as being legitimate.

What I’m addressing is posters who don’t know standard multitrack recording basics, who bought a desk not knowing whether it could do what they find critical to their endeavor, who seem to not know the routing capabilities of the desk, haven’t figured out that you will not get 18 discrete fx signals without 18 channels of fx processing, and posit that the xyz mixer can… If someone is insulted by a recommendation of some needed basic schooling, not my problem. There is a great wealth of knowledge and experience in followers of this forum, but I doubt very many will respond to threads such as this.

If one’s creativity requires specific gear, BUY THAT GEAR. Read the fine manual. It’s no sin to say “I don’t know”.

Tim Tyler, the nice me…

Profile photo of Brosco
    Brosco
    Participant

Presonus studiolive seems to offer more for my needs for studio use, shouldn’t have listened to the sales man for the QU-16.

Profile photo of MartinW
    MartinW
    Participant

Before you buy a Presonus desk, trawl their user forums
    for the problems users are having.
    Very fussy on the type of firewire interface in your pc.
    I had problems after I updated to OSx mavericks.

Profile photo of Pierrot
    Pierrot
    Participant

I want to record the vocal with a 14″ reverb and a flanger. I don’t think I’ll be sorry later on! 😉

Profile photo of Pierrot
    Pierrot
    Participant

Btw,I have a Presonus console which is being demoted to the “bsnds console”. Yes, it does have a selector switch to send effects to DAW track… But, no moving faders, no recallable gain, no DAW interface, no touchscreen and the eq is more limited. The 24ch is also more expensive which is strange. There are also many stories of in gig failures.
    But its cool when it goes. A&H just offers more.
    PS: Why would you want to record with FX etc when it can be done in retrospect and the focus is OFF tracking. Much more room for experimentation with dry tracks.
    I provide the consoles features and fx to players during the session (send basic fx to keep players happy) but prefer my own time for decisions in mixing. Tracking is a separate process.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

V1.5 adds a global source option for Input Channel recording to Qu-Drive and USB B. The tap-off point can now be set to either Insert Send or Direct Out.

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

I have the free version of cubase (LE AI 7) that came with an audio interface, anyone know if this will work as a DAW with the Qu-16? Also, do I have to download the DAW software to use with my mac?

Profile photo of BLKGHOST
    BLKGHOST
    Participant

Works but you’ll only be able to use 8 channels for inputs and 8 for outputs (software limitation. Get the full version if you want all the channels to be available). As for the download, you only need to download it if you want to use the Qu-16 as a DAW controller. Works fine as is if you only want to use it as a soundcard.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Ardour worked in terms of multitrack record and playback for me…
    Free (as in beer and speech)

Nice on a Debian laptop (core audio)

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Thankyou for the response, the eight tracks thing explains a lot! I’ll probably spend the £40 to upgrade to the full version as I’m just getting used to using cubase, albeit the routing functions are rather confusing to me…

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

I would add that for some reason when I play back a multitrack recording from Cubase into Qu-16 via USB B streaming, the playback sounds about 15bpm faster than original recording. Checked settings and not set as externally clocked or anything, any ideas how to rectify this?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

My guess is you are playing 44.1k material at 48k, since the Qu USB interface is fixed 48kHz. Some DAWs do SRC on the fly, some don’t. If the latter is the case in Cubase you might have to convert your sessions to 48k before use.

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Thanks Nicola, will look into the cubase settings

Profile photo of dgoodheart
    dgoodheart
    Participant

hi! I am a new owner of the qu 32 and new to input ouput routing (my last board was a zoom r16). I’m looking at this page that explains very nicely how to set up the usb streaming but I am unable to send the signal to ST1, for there appears to be a blue x rather than blue usb b in the source page. Is there a way on the qu 32 to send my signal from my computer to a stereo track on the board so i don’t have to use two mono sends panned hard right and left? I’ve linked them so the signal sent to my left and right speaker are the same but I’d much rather have one stereo track fader than two linked mono tracks/faders.

https://allen-heath.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1142/269/how-do-i-route-audio-to-and-from-my-qu-mixer-and-the-daw

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.