USB Streaming (USB B)

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting USB Streaming (USB B)

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 58 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alex A&H Alex A&H 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

This was intended to give engineers the ability to record the dry signal while setting the Direct Outs post-processing for FX or personal monitoring use.

With due respect, allowing this as one option “gives the ability.” As I read this, it is the only possibility?

Profile photo of Dwight
    Dwight
    Participant

I am not sure what to do now as there is no way to use the Qu-16 for tracking as it is counter productive. I have used Qu-16 for recording live shows that are going to tv and to a radio show. I thought that I could set up the mixer to record the main outs then set up my room eq on mix out 9/10. I thought this would get my tone closer to the desired result. Worked flawlessly except didn’t capture any of the eq and compression 🙁

Then in the studio tracking drums with same result. I do understand the function of having the dry signal for live applications but that is not a studio application. For me a studio application is a controlled environment where you can treat the sound to get close to the desired tone. I think it is a pretty standard STUDIO practice to record live instruments and use eq and light compression to improve the tone and even levels, then set the gain again after.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I think it is a pretty standard STUDIO practice to record live instruments and use eq and light compression to improve the tone and even levels, then set the gain again after.

Really? OK I’ll admit that I don’t do much studio work myself these days, but I work with a lot of people who do.

But, I’d never want to compress anything as I recorded it. There’s no way of going back.

I’m pretty sure most people do all that stuff in the DAW afterwards – to be honest it’s probably got better compressors in it anyway.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Mark. As an old studio guy in Nashville I can tell you that compressing to tape(we still refer to it that way) is a very common practice. Especially since digital recording became popular. Look at pics of studios with racks of vintage compressors. I probably own 25-30K in them. In the 70’s we even used racks of 1176, LA2,3’s to compress to 2″.

Competent engineers know what they want to hear and adjust accordingly. I have has a studio full of orchestra or choir with first run down telling them to play/sing me their loudest part. Set the thresholds and run with it. You are always still monitoring it as you go or the A2 does. Compression will still be added later in mix if needed. See it all the time.

MarkPAman
    Participant

I’m happy to accept that people do compress as they record – in the early days of digital you pretty well had to, and maybe it is still more common than I’d thought.

But, we are no longer recording to 8bit or even 16bit machines (are we?), so I’m not convinced that compression is necessary.

However, this is a discussion for a recording forum, not here. If recording from direct outputs, post DSP, were made possible, I’d not be complaining.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I will make a quick reply then let it go. Yes you are right about bit depth but most often it is just to tighten up dynamics especially on singers. Also can be considered for making things just louder or in case of instruments like guitars an effect. Lots of uses.

MarkPAman
    Participant

I wasn’t going to reply. But, are those not all things that can be done later, either by the DAW, or possibly using your lovely vintage compressors?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Old habits are hard to break. And, there ain’t nothing like the real thing. No plug in I have ever found sounds like an LA2, CL-1A, 1176. I don’t care what anyone says. I still pull my 480L to mix since plugin verbs just don’t give the same results. Nuts. But still widely done.

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

Mark is politely and graciously stating the normal studio practice, let me put it another way…

Dry signal is required. You folks who want what is abnormal, and frankly not possible on any live console that I know of, need to find a good recording forum to get straightened out. And no, the X32 will NOT send 32 channels of DISCRETE effects/dynamics on a per channel basis. That gets done on the DAW. No recording engineer I ever met wants your “gakked up” tracks.

You folks who want “my mix” to be sent out might consider a 2 track.

-Tim T

Profile photo of Dwight
    Dwight
    Participant

Hey guys I don’t use a lot of compression on my tracks just on occasion but I do use some sort of eq just about always going into my DAW. All of you seemed to have focused on the compression. Eq is far more important to me. I use the Qu-16 for live shows, recording those live shows as well as wanting the Qu-16 for drum tracking, especially along with monitoring, in my studio. I know how I generally want my kik drum to sound and I can get it really close to what I am looking for with some eq. I assumed this mixer would allow especially eq if I desired. My first tech support person I got from Allen & Heath in an email showed me the steps of how to select post delay setting….till I told him that is what I was I was doing with no result. Then he told me it wasn’t possible. To me the feature of having the ability to have post eq especially, is important.. I recognize that it my not be important for you the same way that many of you are recommending features the this mixer that I probably wouldn’t use regularly. I think my request or maybe even expectation, is still valid.

Dwight

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Dry signal is required. You folks who want what is abnormal, and frankly not possible on any live console that I know of, need to find a good recording forum to get straightened out.

Geez, Detonator…that time of the month again? 😉

So for anyone who might just like to do things differently from the way you have done it, it is so important that not only should that not be an option, but those people should get schooled on a recording forum on how wrong it is?

Seems to me that strict adherence to rules limits creativity.

“Don’t you hear that gawdawful distortion coming from the guitar amp?! Go and fetch my Twin!”

MarkPAman
    Participant

If I’m mixing a band live, and making a multitrack recording at the same time, I really don’t want any changes I make on the desk to be recorded, as I’d have to try to compensate for them afterwards. And I certainly don’t want to be tied down & not adjusting something because it will effect the recording.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi all,

the request for a post-processing tap-off point for studio recording is legitimate, and I’ll make sure it’s logged in our wishlist for future firmware releases. Thanks Dwight for posting in the ‘feature suggestions’ category too.

PS There’s no such thing as a right or wrong workflow, it’s all down to experience and personal preferences.

Profile photo of Digital-Dinosaur
    Digital-Dinosaur
    Participant

Nice response, Nicola. :o)

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

In studio recording generally we are channel strip to DAW track input. EQ is in the strip if needed. Comp is either on an insert or between strip and DAW.

In live I am with Mark in that pre everything is preferred. I try to get a signal right after the pre if possible. DO or insert pre EQ. If I am just recording with no live PA then I treat it more like studio. On high recordings generally a console is not even used. Just mic pres to track.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.