USB Streaming (USB B)

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting USB Streaming (USB B)

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 58 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alex A&H Alex A&H 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of qu16112013
    qu16112013
    Participant

Hi,
    I would like to use the USB B Port as an input for playback from my MBA.
    So I would like to use the QU-16 as a soundcard.

I am using the newest QU-16 firmware, the newest MBA and the newest OS on my mac.
    These are the two pictures below. I already switched to USB B in the routings for ST1.
    And also on my Mac the QU-16 is the Output.
    Problem: There is no signal on my QU-16.
    What´s wrong?
    Thank you!
    Pictures:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64210884/Foto%284%29.JPG
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64210884/qu_16_usb.tiff

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi,

to play back from the Mac to ST1 you need to route audio to Qu-16 streaming ch 17&18. This is because the first 16 streaming channels go to the Mono Inputs. Most DAWs allow this, but if you are using iTunes or similar, you need to set this as a preference in OS X. Go to Utilities / Audio MIDI Setup / Audio Devices, select the Qu-16 and click on Configure Speakers, then assign stereo Left and Right to ch 17&18.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of qu16112013
    qu16112013
    Participant

Hi Nicola,
    thank you very much – now it works.
    So, am I right, now I am able to use it as a soundcard in the same way like for example the USB of the A&H ZED-10.
    The only difference is that I do not have to make these changes in the Audio-Midi-Setup with my A&H ZED-10. Right?
    It is automatically dected as a soundcard.
    And I still have a better Audio-quality instead of using analogue cables?

Thank you!

Profile photo of Yorkshire Pudding
    Yorkshire Pudding
    Participant

Yep – the USB streaming is similar to the USB in/out on the ZED-10. The differences are:

Zed 10 => 2 channels in 2 channels out
    QU16 => 20 out / 24 in (from memory – I’m sure someone will correct me if I’ve got those numbers slightly wrong!)
    The zed-10 is a simpler desk so you have less routing options for the ins/outs than on the QU16.

Profile photo of Yorkshire Pudding
    Yorkshire Pudding
    Participant

Oh – and the ZED-10 uses USB standard class drivers, so it works on Windows, Mac & Linux. However the QU-16 is Mac only 🙁
    Windows drivers seem to be one of the more commonly requested features here – so hopefully they’ll turn up at some point – though A&H haven’t committed to that yet…

Profile photo of Brosco
    Brosco
    Participant

Hi,

I have streamed the QU-16 to my mac with pro-tools 11, and have the outputs set from PT to sent each channel on the desk for playback (is that right), however I am not able to record the fx from the qu into PT.

Can someone tell me how to set PT and the QU-16 up to be able to record the fx from the desk?

Profile photo of Dawson
    Dawson
    Participant

Hey Brosco, I have the same routing problem and am finding it difficult to record the effects from QU16 into PT11.

As stated on other forums (answered by Nicola) simultaneous live recording and playback can be achieved however we are finding that when we play back the recording in the DAW (QU16 disconnected)it is ‘dry’ without the great vocal effects from QU16, therefore clearly we are not routing the efx correctly to be recorded?

I have setup as follows if something proverbially is way wrong I would appreciate some guidance.

Current setup QU16:

I am connected via USB

Processing Global USB source “USB B Streaming”

Ch1 vocal
    Ch2 vocal
    Ch3 vocal
    Ch4 guitar
    Ch5 guitar
    Ch6-12 drums

FX 1 routed as ch>return input ST3
    FX 2 routed as ch>return input ST3
    FX 3 routed as ch>return input ST3

I understand the the ST3 output patch from QU16 is ch 22/23, however I am unsure if all 3 effects that we are using should all go to ST3?

Current setup DAW (PT 11)

Inputs Ch 1-16 mono

Outputs Not sure what these need to be set to? I am thinking that they need to be set to ch. 21/22 which is ST3?

I guess the other thing I am thinking of here is should the effect be inserted in to the individual channels?

I welcome any comments with open arms, I have spent many hours which is detracting from my creativeness :(. I am sure it is a simple issue, if I had Nicolas engineering for 5 minutes:) wow would be solved

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

@Brosco

You can use the Audio Setup / Output Patch screen to patch up to three stereo FX returns to USB B outputs 17-18, 19-20 and 21-22 (provided you are not recording stereo channels) then record these into stereo tracks in Pro Tools. However for multitrack playback you cannot return USB audio to the FX return channels. I’d suggest routing the FX tracks from Pro Tools to the Stereo Input channels on Qu-16, for example 17-18 for ST1.

@Dawson

I am unsure if all 3 effects that we are using should all go to ST3?

No, the effects can go to the dedicated stereo FX returns. To record these see my answer to Brosco above.

Inputs Ch 1-16 mono

You will need to set up some stereo tracks too if you wish to record the FX returns and / or a stereo channel or mix.

Outputs Not sure what these need to be set to? I am thinking that they need to be set to ch. 21/22 which is ST3?

It depends on what you are trying to do. To return the Pro Tools master mix to the Qu-16 for monitoring, route the PT master bus to a stereo channel on Qu-16, for example 21/22 for ST3 as you say. To play back each track individually to a channel for ‘virtual soundcheck’ applications, route each track back to the corresponding source, for example 1 for Mono Input 1.

I guess the other thing I am thinking of here is should the effect be inserted in to the individual channels?

Not really. You can insert FX into channels, but the FX will not be recorded as the signal sent to USB is taken from the Insert send point.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of Brosco
    Brosco
    Participant

Ok so I select the FX1 Return under 17-18 FX2 Return for 19-20 etc?

And on the FX tab do I select Mix/Return and input as FX1 etc or do I change them to ST1 etc?

if that makes sense.

Profile photo of Brosco
    Brosco
    Participant

I am able to record FX on the LR input into PT as a stereo track by sending FX to 17-18,19-20 and 21-22, but I am not able to record on each separate channel to capture fx ie: vocal line 1 reverb, vocal line 2 reverb, delay. Is there a way to to be able to do that?

Profile photo of Dwight
    Dwight
    Participant

Hi I am streaming from the Qu-16 to a mac using Cubase 7.5.0 and wondering if you have been able to record the Q-16’s eq and compression into your DAW using the Qu16. I have been able to record, just not anything after the preamp. I have selected the post Delay setting on the Global settings which should give me what I am looking for but having no results. It looks like it is selected but when I test the recording there is no difference

I have tried everything that I can think of, but can’t get any results. I am tracking drums and love what I am hearing in the Qu-16 but can’t get it into my DAW

Just wondering if it is working for someone or if it is something that I am doing wrong.

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Dwight, USB recording is fed from the Input channels’ Insert sends – not the Direct Outs. The Insert sends are post preamp and polarity, but pre HPF and processing. You can see this in the block diagram at the end of the User Guide.

This was intended to give engineers the ability to record the dry signal while setting the Direct Outs post-processing for FX or personal monitoring use.

Profile photo of Brosco
    Brosco
    Participant

@nicola, Excuse my ignorance but does that mean there is no way of recording the fx into each channel into PT?

Profile photo of Dwight
    Dwight
    Participant

That I guess is what I am getting at. There is apparently no way to use the eq and compression or effects on any recorded tracks into the DAW just dry after the preamp. For me this is a big deal as that is a major reason why I bought the desk. Any other use in my studio is like a glorified monitoring system… a good one at that but still…

Profile photo of Brosco
    Brosco
    Participant

@dwight Yes that’s why we bought the desk too, I know the Behringer X32 can and was under the impression this could too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.