USB Stick Problem

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions USB Stick Problem

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I saved a show file for the GLD editor on my Windows 10 computer at home. Down at the theater the GLD can’t “see” my new file. The odd thing is that I can save a file from the console onto it and “See” it at home!
    Is this something to do with the way I formatted the USB stick?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@BobJ452

Where did you format it? What exact format was it formatted as?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

It was formatted on a Windows 10 machine as FAT32

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Is the Editor version the same as the console firmware? I know it will load older files, but I’m not sure what would happen if you tried to load a new file onto an older console version. I’d expect it would still list the file and give an error but I don’t think I’ve tried it.

Chris

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yep, Updated both Console and Editor at home about a month ago. Looked at stick and noted “FAT32″. Reformatted at home as NTFS. Read somewhere Win7 likes NTFS. Won’t be able to test it until next week. If you are using GLD can you look at a USB stick that works. If you go to format it (but don’t!) the panel will tell you what it currently is formatted as. If any one else reads this and could do same it would be appreciated. My other thought was that perhaps Win7 couldn’t handle these really large USB sticks but this and the formatting question may be complete red herrings. WIn7 commercial is used by a lot of other boards. For example the ETC Element 2 I use at another theater is also Win7 commercial but I save and load show files between it and home here with no problems.

One thing I did notice is that looking at the GLD show files in my file manager, they all have file names that include ” .tar. “? I’m not an expert here but usually associate Tar with Linux. And, I often have problems with Win/Linux USBs exchanges. Again, anyone with real knowledge of the GLD OP System could advise I would be grateful. I’ve built a couple of busy show files here only to go down to the theater and have them fail!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Should I have put this into the tech support forum?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

My GLD flash drive is FAT32. GLD is linux-based.

Is the console reading the flash drive but just not seeing the show files?

Chris

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Oh! Wow! When I first met the GLD someone here told me it was Win7 Ouch! At the moment my GLD Editor at home doesn’t even believe there is a USB stick in the socket. Down there it ‘sees’ the stick but not the Show files. But this may be because I was using a NTFS one. I know that when I am doing stuff with my Raspberry Pies (Linux/Raspian) I often have these little problems. And, once I put something on the stick from the Raspberry, when I put it in the Windows machine it comes up with “Problem with USB drive Scan . . . “. But, I can still see, save and load files using the normal file manager.
    So – I think at this time I need to forage some other forums to see how folks accommodate Windows and Linux access form/to a USB stick. If I learn anything useful for others I’ll post to the troubleshooting forum. I think all of this should have been there in the first place. Thank you for you input.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Someone told me it was Linux-based, and some of the stuff on the boot screen looks similar to Linux PCs I’ve used, plus the .tar stuff as you mentioned.

There’s a list of confirmed-working usb drives floating around somewhere, but I think the general recommendation was Sandisk or Kingston. My own drive is a Sandisk Cruzer Blade, 8GB.

Chris

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks Chris. Actually this is turning out to be one of those embarrassing things “I should have know” about. At home using GLD112-Editor you have to open the menu bar “file” drop down – choose USB, navigate to it and accept. I can now see my show files (you have to have them in a GLD subfolder). Not sure what will happen Tuesday when I go in.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.