USB Stereo recording converted to mp3 sounding echoey

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions USB Stereo recording converted to mp3 sounding echoey

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Hi
    I recorded a Stereo track sermon on USB and copied to Audacity. I raised the level to 30 dB as it was quite low. The quality was very good, but the file size was 38 MB which is too large to upload onto our church website as a Podcast. So i exported into mp3 in Audacity but reduced to 32kbps (it recorded at 128kbps). When i played it back i could still hear whst speaker said but there was like an echo all thru the recording.
    I then tried exporting at 16kbps and 40kbps but still the same. Any ideas whats causing this and how to remove it?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

32kbps is probably a bit low, unless you add a bandpass filter, drop it to mono and reduce the bit depth.

I’d drop it to mono, drop the bit depth to 16 at most, possibly as low as 8bit.
    Drop the sample rate, you’re capturing speech, so a 20kHz sample rate will halve the file size and preserve all the important frequency information.

After all that you can probably export at 16kbit….

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Thanks Bob, that worked a tteat, your suggestion for converting from USB stereo wav to mp3 straight from Audacity.
    I raised the level by 30dB, combined the two stereo tracks into one mono track and then exported to mp3 using a reduced bitrate of 32kbit/s and reduced sample rate of 22050hz. File size ends up at 9MB which is fine. And no echo ?
    Thanks Barry

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Thanks Bob, that worked a treat, your suggestion for converting from USB stereo wav to mp3 straight from Audacity.
    I raised the level by 30dB, combined the two stereo tracks into one mono track and then exported to mp3 using a reduced bitrate of 32kbit/s and reduced sample rate of 22050hz. File size ends up at 9MB which is fine. And no echo ?
    Thanks Barry

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Looks like there was an echo in my last two posts….you have my reply in stereo ??

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yay 😉
    QU FX on the forum even (Don’t apply them to the preacher, unless it’s a pitch shift up just a smidge 😉 )

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.