USB setting for post processing mixer after rehearsal

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions USB setting for post processing mixer after rehearsal

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Marten
    Marten
    Participant

Hello there,
    We have a qu32 mixer in our church and our music groups who playing in our service are regularly rehearsing. Is it possible to fine-tune the mix on the qu32 using a recording of the rehearsal?

I know how to use the USB output to record a channel but somehow the output on the mix sounds different when using the recording on the mixer. I switch the mix between the source ‘dsnake’ to ‘Qu-Drv’ to use the recording.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

If you turned off the mixer, would you still be able to hear something from the musicians playing on stage?

Profile photo of Marten
    Marten
    Participant

Uh? I don’t see how the answer relates to my question, but yes I can hear musicians playing when they use an amplifier on stage.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

I was wondering how much of a factor sound from the stage with the band playing is, compared to just hearing the recorded tracks from the mains (and any non-IEM monitors).

The recorded tracks should match the audio signal as it is getting processed by the mixer, at whichever point it is getting picked off at. There’s a setting to tell it if you want to record the track pre-EQ, post-EQ, etc. If the tracks are recorded before any other processing happens, then playing it back should sound similar (other than gain/trim differences).

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Unless your band has an extremely low stage volume as in no guitar amps on stage, an isolated or electronic drum kit and no stage monitors all of your live mixes will always
    be “mixed” around the volume coming off the stage. Now if your mixing in a very large
    room and or going for an all out rock concert type of mix you may approach it differently

Most likely though if you take a multitrack recording of the band from rehearsal and then create the perfect sounding mix of the band using the playback multitrack recording when the live band hits the stage you’ll be in for big surprise.

Profile photo of Marten
    Marten
    Participant

Thanks for the answers;

@ryan I looked into the manual and I found this about the audio setting(p78)
    CH/ST/Grp source button
    Set this to Insert Sends if you do not want the input channel and group USB sends to be affected by the mixer processing (EQ, Comp, Gate, Delay). This sends the raw Preamp and unprocessed Group signals to theUSB stream and is the typical setting for live recording.

Set this to Direct Outs if you want the input channel USB sends to follow the channel global Direct Output
    option. It also sets the Group sends to be postprocessing and post-fader. This is the typical setting for studio recording (working with a DAW). The global Direct Output option affects all inputs and is set in the channel Routing screen. Stream audio back to the Qu mixer – Audio isreturned via USB B. This is mapped one-to-one to the inputs channels. Use the Preamp screen Fn key
    Source page to patch USB B to the channels. Make sure you have set ‘USB B Streaming’ as the global USB source.

I suppose I have to use the ‘Insert Sends’ setting?

@mikec
    The band uses 5 monitors on stage, roughly 80 dB is coming from the monitors. The church is large and we are always working around the acoustics.
    We have one electric guitar and an electronic drumkit, the latter is using a monitormix from the QU32. I can put the recorded mix to the monitor mix I created, or is it also very differents

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Is that 80db number the level from just the stage you read back at the
    mixing board or the actual level on the stage. What weighting scale did you
    measure the 80db, A or C, A weighting will read lower since it is a band passed
    filtered measurement.

Working with a multitrack recording will be good mix practice but will never be
    the same as the live band playing in the room with live open mics, stage volume (though it sounds like you have that kind of under control) and not to mention the band probably
    plays different at practice than during the actual service.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.