usb recording very quiet

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions usb recording very quiet

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of retroj retroj 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of retroj
    retroj
    Participant

Hello,

I’m using a GLD-80 in a theater, and using its record-to-usb function to record talks. I find that the resulting wav files are very very quiet, and have poor signal-to-noise ratio, so the resulting files need both noise removal and gain boost by around 30dB to bring them to a listenable level. The mixer has firmware 1.4. Any thoughts?

Thank you

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

If you look at the signal level in whatever bus (or direct out) you’re using to record you’ll probably find that there’s too much headroom. The USB record only uses 16 bits and if you’re throwing away 30 dB at the upper end of the scale then you’ve esssentially got 11 bits you’re using to record (6 dB per bit) at which point quantization noise might start to be audible.

The best thing to do is try to rework your gain structure (turn down the main PA level so you can run the inputs hotter) to get the signal level higher in the desk. I don’t know if the USB record send is pre- or post-fade but you might want to check if changing the master fader on your record mix changes the recorded level at all.

One idea I haven’t tried but might work: set up your recording path as something like inputs->aux->matrix, with the matrix then sent to the USB drive. Send your inputs at +10 dB into the aux, the aux at +10 dB to the matrix, and then if necessary use the gain in the compressors for the aux and matrix to boost the signal further (set the threshold as high as it goes so the compressor never actually compresses).

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

some of the technicians that i know uses a stereo matrix for the MAIN-PA-Out! USB Recording recieves the Level from MAIN LR that is set to perfect Level! The matrix now controls the EQ and Volume of the Main PA and the USB-Recording recieves the original signal and a good volume from the input channels! Also the room-eq (Matrix EQ) doesn’t effect the recording!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

it wolud be possible to use another matrix for the recording, then you can apply a little compression

Profile photo of retroj
    retroj
    Participant

Okay, I see, thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.