USB recording post input processing

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions USB recording post input processing

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Peter Ostry
    Peter Ostry
    Participant

Qu-PAC.

I send some input channels to hardware effects and record the result via USB. For that, the Setup I/O Patch must have the default “Insert Sends” as source.

Additionally I want to record the dry input channels, but after input processing. This (magically?) works when I set the I/O Patch to “Direct Outs” and route the input channels to groups. Then, even with no group output, the recorded input channels are post processing.

BUT – I can’t have both, I/O Patch source is global.

Can this be solved or am I bound to record inputs pre processing?

Peter Ostry
    Participant

I forgot to mention: The pre processing recording of input channels happens with USB streaming. Haven’t tested with USB drive yet. For live recording I will use USB Drive.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Not sure if I understand your request correctly.
    If you’re referring to “Hardware Effects”, how are these externally connected? Normally they’re fed from a Mix Out and use a Channel Return. Or are you using some plugins on your PC which are fed via USB? But then these also return to separate channels.
    I’m also unclear what you understand as “dry but after input processing”. If you want to record dry, use the “Insert Send” point, if you want to record after processing (PEG/Comp/Delay etc.) pick one of the later points. Yes, Direct Out send point indeed is a global choice.
    If your intention is to record channels with (internal) insert FX processing, then the Direct Out point needs to be set to PostInsert. The choice to record from Insert Send and Direct Out is also global.

I can’t have both, I/O Patch source is global.

Indeed. Not sure if this will be opened or if it should be opened, since it adds more points to make things wrong during setup.
    For dry captures the recording is likely to be processed in a DAW afterwards, so I’d also add Fx there (I personally never record live FX, except in my LR feed). Feature request could indeed be to add FX Output as a record source in case FX Ret does feed a signal in Fx Insert mode (not tested).
    Do you have spare mixes? Then routing the Fx through the Fx Bus and additionally return it to an additional Mix for recording could be an option.

Peter Ostry
    Participant

Sorry for confusion. I am slowly getting familiar with digital mixers and the terminology. I’ll try to explain in other words:

I play an acoustic instrument with pickups on stage. I want the Qu-PAC to EQ and compress (limit) the input signal, send the result out to LR and record it via USB. Additionally, I send this EQ/Comp signal out to hardware effects, back to Qu inputs, send it to LR and record it. There are multiple inputs and multiple hardware boxes and the recording is multichannel.

Here is a simplified drawing of the setup with just the recording path:

Problem at the moment:
    The recording of the pickup signal is not post EQ/Comp, it’s just the dry input signal.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Thanks for the drawing, much clearer now. 😉
    With Global Direct Out set to PostAll (includes Eq/Comp/Delay) you should be able to record the wet signal from your channels.
    Select any channel and press Routing to get to the Global Direct Out setting.
    Don’t forget to switch recording source on I/O-Patch/USB-Audio tab to Direct Out instead of Insert Send.
    …really wish both options occur on same dialog…

You’ll find the precise steps in The Manual in chapter 9.8 (Global Direct Out) and 11.18 (USB Audio Patching).

Peter Ostry
    Participant

Ha!
    I was pretty sure that I’ve done exactly what you describe and according to the manual. But obviously I did not, because it works now. Problem solved.

Thank you very much.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

btw the position of the dircet out is changeable per channel
    routing screen tab 1

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

The tap point of the Global Direct Out is reachable through a channel, but its still a global setting.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

you’re right, Andreas

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

sometimes, Steffen… 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.