USB recording on PC

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions USB recording on PC

Tagged: 

This topic contains 19 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ryan Ryan 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Iwanagedit2
    Iwanagedit2
    Participant

Horrid, that’s why I got the QU-16 hoping it was good-to-great in both environments but only for mixing. My point is it wouldn’t take much to put a little more code in there to get some add’l recording functionality and that is my plea to A H. Do you have anything to add?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

My point is it wouldn’t take much to put a little more code in there to get some add’l recording functionality

It’s not that simple.

Profile photo of Iwanagedit2
    Iwanagedit2
    Participant

Lol – can you elaborate? Do you work for AH and know the design intimately enough to say this or is this just your assumption? Much can be done w/ softkeys and f/w and what wasn’t possible before is more than likely possible today… it’s likely all on a chip by now but that requires h/w so I bet it could be added to a USB stick as an upsell from AH (yes more sales! ..and there’s very good throughput on this port to handle it).

Profile photo of SRD
    SRD
    Participant

Much can be done w/ softkeys and f/w and what wasn’t possible before is more than likely possible today… it’s likely all on a chip by now but that requires h/w so I bet it could be added to a USB stick as an upsell from AH (yes more sales! ..and there’s very good throughput on this port to handle it).

Have you emailed A&H themselves to get the ‘official’ response? All Qu updates are minimal these days as new products come out that perhaps have this functionality. Does the SQ series have that feature?

I only use my Qu16 for live sound so I’m not really savvy on the recording capabilities. However, in the future i might delve into that world.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

I’m not seeing anything that matches up with your statement that the Qu-16 is a recording unit… it does mention the multitrack recording to USB and compatibility with DAW software, but none of the marketing material I’m seeing for the Qu looks remotely like advertising itself as a dedicated multitrack recorder like the Tascam Portastudio.

I think that your assumption was that the inclusion of some features for recording live shows means that A&H is targeting the same market as the Tascam Portastudio when they aren’t. The multitrack/USB/DAW recording capabilities of the Qu series is comparable to other digital mixers in the same price range – the X32 and X Air, Yamaha TF, and Si Impact. It seems like Boss and Zoom make multitrack recorders that compete with the Portastudio.

As for adding features, you might have noticed that the Qu-Drive feature only supports doing either recording or playback (https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/774/0/understanding-qu-drive-and-usb-devices) — but not both simultaneously. There might be some limitations of the USB interface IC chip or other aspects of the hardware design that make doing both at the same time difficult (which seems like a key part of the features that you want). My point is, you might think the features you want added are trivial, but there things that could make it difficult beyond just rewriting a large amount of firmware.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.