USB recording

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions USB recording

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of omb
    omb
    Participant

Hello, this is my first post here, so please excuse me if this is the wrong forum. I am a newbie owner of a A&H ZEDi 10FX but I cannot seem to find a dedicated “ZED” series forum.
    Also, I am a live performer, not a studio technician, so my recording knowledge is only adequate but limited.

I have a (recently bought) A&H ZEDi 10FX that I have connected to my iMac via USB for recording/playback, using Logic ProX.

I believe that the recording signal sent to logic (via USB) is taken directly from the input gains of the mixer, bypassing the onboard EQ and FX. This is fine, as I do all my signal processing within Logic

However, I have recently wanted to record clips directly to the computers “in built” camera (ibooth), but using the mixer as the audio source as the iMac mic is poor and I would like to add eq and fx directly to the audio signal.

I simply cannot find a way of adding fx or eq to the usb record signal. I have succeeded in adding EQ and FX using an auxiliary mix, and feeding the computer through the analogue “line in” route, but would prefer usb digital if possible.

I notice on the mixer Block Diagram, the USB record source is shown as “Default-Pre EQ”. Is there any internal switching to change this to POST eq/fx or any other way of adding the onboard eq and fx to the usb record output. (As a new user, perhaps I am missing some simple onboard routing switching).

This may be in common with all USB mixers, as I said, I am new to this but I hope I have explained my question clearly.

Thank you for reading….any help GREATLY appreciated…..Brian

Profile photo of Mach
    Mach
    Participant

Hi! I also have the same question about EQ and FX. I’m using a QU-24 and I’m recording thru qu-drive and I want to give EQ and FX to the recording output. If you have figured out how, I would really appreciate if you share it here. Thanks!

Profile photo of omb
    omb
    Participant

I am hoping to eventally contact Allen & Heath directly. They appear to be (understanderbly) currently uncontactable but hopefully someone on this forum may have the answer before then. 👍

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

what you mean with FX?

SteffenR
    Participant

@machlopez

he is talking about a completly different device
    everything you have to know is already covered many times in the QU forums

Profile photo of Mach
    Mach
    Participant

@steffen R, I searched the forum before I replied in this thread but I did not found any topic that helped me. I only have limited knowledge in mixing.

My problem is: I’m using a QU-24. I’m recording using the qu-drive which I assigned in Mix 9&10. In the LR main speakers, FX, i.e.reverb, would come out but I do not hear any of it coming out in Mix 9&10. So, there is no reverb in the recorded audio. Can I put fx in the recording or is it just limited in the LR main?

Thanks.

SteffenR
    Participant

@machlopez

that is still covered in many threads

the fx returns are inputs like all other inputs

Profile photo of omb
    omb
    Participant

Hi, I fear I may have made my original query more complicated than it needed to be…sorry.

(I think) put simply what need to know is…..on the A&H ZEDi 10FX is it possible to add any of the ONBOARD mixer EQ or FX to the usb record signal POST EQ, rather than the (PRE-SET) PRE-EQ

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    SteffenR
    Participant

FX and EQ are two different things…
    the EQ is an inline processing
    FX is send processing

set the recording source to 1, 2, L/R then you can put FX on the master and still have the first two channels without everything
    there is no other way to do it with this mixer

Profile photo of omb
    omb
    Participant

thank you 👍👍

Profile photo of omb
    omb
    Participant

So, I’ve solved the issue!

Sold the A&H Zedi-10fx and bought a Soundcraft!

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@omb

good!

now tell us the solution for all who read this thread later who have the problem

SteffenR
    Participant

Sold the A&H Zedi-10fx and bought a Soundcraft!

I doubt that this will solve the issue…

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

It is by switch selectable if you want to sent dry channels or the main mix to the usb.

But if you a more stable with a soundcraft.

Richard

Profile photo of omb
    omb
    Participant

But if you a more stable with a Soundcraft.

Steffan, I appreciate your input, I really do, but…………

After wasting much time trying to figure out what I wanted to do, which was in fact, quite a simple routing option that the A&H should have had the option to do, but in fact did not, (or was so confusing, I couldn’t figure it); I was up and running, working exactly as I wanted, within a couple of hours of taking delivery of the Soundcraft.

The A&H ZEDi-10fx is without doubt a quality mixing desk but maybe a little over complicated for a non-studio user like me and I would suggest, short of a few basic options that some users may desire, (as in my case).

Any way, I am sorted…..issue solved, not out of pocket and happy!!

Many thanks all for your input but, FAR MORE IMPORTANT……….KEEP SAFE AND MY VERY BEST WISHES AND LOVE TO YOU ALL IN THESE DANGEROUS TIMES !!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘USB recording’ is closed to new replies.