USB (record/play) "Key Incompatible"

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive troubleshooting USB (record/play) "Key Incompatible"

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Dave 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of stubish
    stubish
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’ve got one particular SSD (Crucial 512GB) that has a problem I’ve never seen before. It’s attached by a USB A to C cable (also works on other devices).

This one, no matter how I format it (mac/pc, fat block sizes, label or none etc) It shows an error of “key incompatible”. and will not give me an option to format on the surface.

What does this error mean? I can’t find any reference to it in the manual etc.

Thank you!

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

From the manual: The USB key must be formatted FAT32 with 32k cluster size. We recommend you format the key using this page prior to use.

I’m guessing your device is using the wrong cluster size by default.

Profile photo of stubish
    stubish
    Participant

Thanks Scott,
    I’ve got it formatted FAT32 @ 32k (via Rufus on a windows machine). Still key incompatible.

That’s why I’m searching for a definition of this error. Nobody can seem to tell me what this means exactly?

If I intentionally format it to NTFS or some such thing, it simply doesn’t show up when I plug it in.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Original FAT32 only natively only supported 32Gb partitions, while newer versions can go up to 2Tb. I’m not sure what dLive’s limitations are but try creating a partition just under 32Gb and see if it is recognized.

I’m only making a guess here, as the only devices I’ve ever used with dLive are USB sticks, and not SSDs.

Also, I’m not sure if you’re using Windows to do this, but if so, try using a tool like GParted or something similar, since Windows sometimes does it’s own thing.

You can also reach out to A&H support support@allen-heath.com and see if they can shed some light on this for you. Good luck!

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Also, I’m not sure if you’re using Windows to do this, but if so, try using a tool like GParted or something similar, since Windows sometimes does it’s own thing.

IIRC, the dLive surfaces are just running a custom Linux distro (or maybe there’s some “standardish” embedded distro, I don’t know), so if Windows is doing something funny with the partitions you might have to set that up with a Mac or Linux box.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.