USB playback questions

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions USB playback questions

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Daan Daan 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

So… I get that it’s only .WAV files, not as convenient as others but at least they don’t have to all be the same sample rate as the console (X/M32 anyone???)

But…

No subfolders?
    No sorting? (What is that default sorting? It’s not alphabetical or by date or anything I can determine…)
    No selection of tracks – just one or all?

Not particularly useful compared to other consoles, unless I’m missing some settings somewhere?

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

I think I’ve read at some point that there’s an improvement being considered.
    but I don’t know if this will be pursued any further.

i myself almost never use this function, because you can’t start files with softkeys.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yeah, they might as well not even have the function, it’s way too limited to be of much use.

To make matters worse, yesterday I formatted a USB stick on the console, then added some songs in .WAV format. They were able to play on the console. I take the stick out and add some more songs (did not reformat or anything) and today, even though I can see all the songs on the console, none of them will play (including all the songs that played yesterday). The play button stays as a “stop”. No errors or anything, just won’t play. Reboot of the console and still no joy.

Not really a usable function in my experience.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

YOu are right USB support is not very handy on A&H consoles in general.
    First of all you have to know do not use ‘repair disk’ on windows after formatting the USB drive with the console.
    I personally have only some audio files on the stick I use for checking the sound system. all other audio files I play from an external source (PC/iPod/smartphone…). for the get in music I use most of the time a cheap Lenovo tablet. This is far more useful than the USB audio function on any desk and therefore also more useful that what is provided on the dLive.

Profile photo of marQs
    marQs
    Participant

It’s wondrous that such simple functions are lacking on an otherwise beautiful piece of equipment.
    The console should just play any audio format, wav/mp3/flac/ogg/whatever at any sample rate on any stick without the need to format it before.

We have a GLD80 that works with wav/mp3, no matter what sample rate I think (that covers 98% of real world usage), well done!
    A mate has a GLD112 only willing to play wavs. Came across some QUs that will also just play wavs and are extremely picky with which USB sticks they recognize at all. That’s plain ridiculous, really. Seems like a very, very simple task to accomplish.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

It’s wondrous that such simple functions are lacking on an otherwise beautiful piece of equipment.
    The console should just play any audio format, wav/mp3/flac/ogg/whatever at any sample rate on any stick without the need to format it before.

We have a GLD80 that works with wav/mp3, no matter what sample rate I think (that covers 98% of real world usage), well done!
    A mate has a GLD112 only willing to play wavs. Came across some QUs that will also just play wavs and are extremely picky with which USB sticks they recognize at all. That’s plain ridiculous, really. Seems like a very, very simple task to accomplish.

Doesn’t matter to me if only plays WAV, but it does matter a lot that you can’t have sub folders, sort the list, choose songs to play or not play and start a track from a scene recall and softkey. This is pretty basic stuff.
    Alternately, if the console’s USB was just class compliant I could just connect my computer or player via USB and stream. It supports keyboards and mice, why not audio and MIDI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

@marqs
    sometimes it is not that simple…

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

if i have to play several songs, i don’t do this via the console, but use a macbook with Qlab. this offers me all the possibilities i need – and much more 😉
    so i don’t see any compelling reason to transfer extensive functions into the console.
    ok, folder functions would be nice, but I don’t really miss it.

concerning the playing of mp3:
    you buy a mixer that shines with excellent audio values – and then you want to play lossy signals? this logic doesn’t quite make itself clear to me.

but what you really have to do better is to detect USB sticks! (especially in the SQ this is not yet solved well enough).
    and that you can play single tracks via softbutton.

sent from a computer 🙂

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Anyone know what criteria the dLive uses to sort the names of the tracks?
    Seems to me last time I checked it WASN’T alphabetical.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi Guys. I don’t have a dLive but I have done years of archiving HUGE titles [for Govt archives] onto all sorts of USB sticks and macs and win machines
    I see from reading your posts the dLive requires Wav files…
    But am I correct to assume the files just play randomly?

Has anyone tried numbering as in:

001 title
    002 title
    011 etc…?

Just a thought

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

Please learn us.

Why is it not so simple to make USBs recognized by the AH gear?

Are you saying AH did it all correctly and the USB makers are not following standards that just happens to let their memory sticks work on just about every other device with few exceptions. EG I cant get a usb3 to work on my old win 98se box. I cant even get some USB2’s to work on it unless they come with a driver.

Just why wont USBs all work on AH and why is that so hard/easy?

Profile photo of DreamView
    DreamView
    Participant

knowing how files are sorted by the board would be a good starting point I think. Now it is impossible to get the files in te correct order no matter how we (re-)name them. This makes the playback function completely useless…

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

I would love to be able to find a USB stick that will even work on the board. I can load firmware with almost no issue, but if use that same USB and move it to the Record/Playback port and re-format it. The board doesn’t see it. So frustrating.

Profile photo of Daan
    Daan
    Participant

I think it has to do with speed. I’m using a Samsung T7 SSD for recording and playback.
    Some people think it’s way too big (1TB) to be using, but I say it’s not the size, it’s how you use it!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.