USB Pendrive reading/formatting??

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting USB Pendrive reading/formatting??

This topic contains 36 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jonesthe-sound
    Jonesthe-sound
    Participant

Desk I’m using QU24
    I’m sure somewhere months ago this question will have been raised but scrolling back through pages of stuff is rather boring.
    Should be a master search on USB stick problems, or HDD problems for the QU desk.
    Also when searching it finds stuff relating to GLD as well as QU.
    Anyway why does it not do what it says on the tin (manual) Put a blank usb pendrive into the desk and it will read it and then ask to format it. Tried 2 pendrives now. Kingston Data Traveller G3 8GB (believe no good to use these) Next up a Hp 4GB stubby one. Just sits with either in the desk for hours reading and never getting to the formatting bit. Are these pendrives to big as if it only takes smaller ones thats a bit naff in this day and age.
    Hope someone reads this and can shed some light on the subject.
    Don’t have a problem when using my GLD80 that seems to read everthing fine

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

My QU16 was happy with a 1TB drive (well, almost totally happy)
    What are you expecting to see?

What buttons are you pressing?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

You may need to first format the USB key on a PC or Mac (FAT 32), then try to format it again on the Qu mixer.

Profile photo of Jonesthe-sound
    Jonesthe-sound
    Participant

Yes it’s all fine now. Just thought as it was a blank pendrive it might have worked straight away. I put it in my PC formatted it for FAT32 and then when I put it in the QU it read it. Now can save my shows. Just need to work out how to play music off it now!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I have seen many usb keys just not work regardless of pre formatting. GLD seems to be more forgiving. QU not so much. I have 3-4 keys now that are formatted fat 32 via PC that the QU will not recognize.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

See the charts. The newish 64G SanDisk Extreme works exceedingly well! I have put aside all others and use them exclusively. I bought two so I can use them alternately. Very much worth the $50 each! Records over 6 hours of all tracks.

BTW, when I was trying various drives and found one that would format and hang at 100%, turning off the mixer and back on, or pulling out the drive and replacing it in the jack, it would show up and work fine.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi Guys.
    Can anyone assist?
    I have brand new USB3 Sandisk Key. I bought for backing up Scenes and shows.
    I cannot format it in the NEW QU32
    Gosh I have tried formating it 1st in Mac and PC… removing labels. Renaming…
    The QU32 just cannot read and so wont format it.
    I managed to update easy the new 1.6 but with another flash drive.
    The new memory stick/drive/ KEY works fine in mac and PC
    Someone must have a solution or trick to suss this?
    well I would hope so.

I love the desk
    The screen I can read with out glasses!
    cheers

dave NZ

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Are you formatting the drive in the computer as FAT32?

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

dhak,
    You might want to re-post this in the Troubleshooting section.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Dhak, “brand new USB3 Sandisk Key” is not enough information to help you They make many kinds in various sizes. As you see above, the SanDik Extreme 64G works just fine out of the box. I would use nothing else now!
    <https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Flash-Newest-Version/dp/B00KT7DOSE/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1415577196&sr=1-1&keywords=sandisk+extreme&gt;
    <https://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/extreme/&gt;
    They are guaranteed so if they don’t work get your money back…

What exact model are you trying to use?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Exact models in terms of USB keys are important, even version numbers….

The Sandisk Extreme is recommended here – mine “just works”

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks for all of your help guys.
    I’m moving on from this 20 buck pendrive.
    Just dont have the time to fix the truck… emails… get ready for a 4 room conference.
    however….
    for mervaka, I tried formating fat32 both mac and PC or to be correct MS-Dos in mac…
    USB3 16gig flash drive made in china model # sdcz418.. (I think) sorry I just cant read those words they are so small. The writing is the size of a nats whisker
    I would rather paint the mixer stand with satin black whilst having a beer in this glorious weather we are having and think about the days of not having to use my glasses to read the screen of my new QU32.
    The USB3 32gig Sandisk Ultra I have, worked fine.
    cheers
    dave NZ

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’m at a loss
    Can anyone advise?
    I have formatted (about 3 times on each) 2 USB 3 sticks on both mac and PC FAT32 and can not get both either QU32 or my trusty studio QU16 to recognize my memory sticks?
    hmmmm
    Both San disc, one stick is an Ultra and the other an Extreme.
    A lot of time wasting!
    This all started in the search for extra monitor sends as I tried updating and ME1 I have and the ME1 couldn’t see the updates on the stick.

any ideas?

daveNZ

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

2020 and that problem is still plaguing us.

maybe even worse now.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Really? I have five 64Gig SanDisc Extreme USB3.0 and rotate them from gig to gig. Do you format them in the mixer eaxh time you use them? Formatting in computer does no good at all, do it in the mixer. Easy Peasy!

Never heard them called “pen drives” though. I call them flash drives or thumb drives. Talk to them nice and maybe they will work.

Best luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.