USB output to analog or ADAT optical conversion

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions USB output to analog or ADAT optical conversion

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nottooloud nottooloud 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of orchardrise
    orchardrise
    Participant

Hi

Our church is considering purchasing a Qu-32 mixer. We have an existing investment in Behringer powerplay personal mixers, including their P16-i distribution unit (https://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/In-Ear-Monitoring/P16-I/p/P0420) that accepts either 16 analog inputs, or two ADAT optical inputs (Channels 1-8 and 9-16).

The cost of shifting from our behringer foldback to the Allen and Heath personal monitoring system is not affordable for us.

I’m trying to find an elegant solution to output from the Qu32 to input to the P16-I.

One option appears to be a product such as the MOTU LP32 (https://motu.com/products/avb/lp32), which accepts USB and converts to either analog or ADAT optical. The concept would be to direct 16 channels out of the Qu mixer via USB, plug this into the MOTU unit and route the channels to ADAT optical out and connect these into the behinger unit providing transfer of 16 mono channels, configurable from the Qu mixer.

Do you think that the USB output of the Qu32 is of a form that it would input direct to the MOTU unit, without needing an additional computer in the signal chain ?

Can you suggest another cost effective and elegant solution to convert 16 mono output channels via USB from the Qu32 to either analog or ADAT optical ?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Why not just use a 16 channel splitter to feed both the main mixer and the monitor box? Simple, affordable, durable:

https://www.audiopile.net/PSX

orchardrise
    Participant

Thanks Dick

Thought about this option, but the behringer monitor system is a simple box (https://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/In-Ear-Monitoring/P16-I/p/P0420) that doesn’t provide any level/EQ/Group Sends capability, which the desk obviously does. I figure that if I went with a splitter I’d need another desk in the system too…

Dick Rees
    Participant

My best guess is that there’s no magic kludge that will yield the full capability of the ME system. Compromises would have to be made and certain desirable configs remain unavailable or less than fully functional.

USB works for recording and streaming. The capabilities sought in a fully functional personal monitor system go beyond mere channel sends and are handled by the D-snake protocol, so for practical purposes I’d say the answer would be no-go.

Could you use the existing board to feed your B********** gadgets and use a splitter to feed the two consoles?

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

The dSnake protocol used by ME is unidirectional, just sending audio information (like the ADAT inputs or 32 direct outs + copies of audio for other mixes from the console); correct me if this is wrong, but it looks like once you get the 16 channels into the P16-I box linked above, that the individual personal monitor mixers connected from the P16-I using ethernet cable should function like the ME — the challenge you have is getting the audio from 16 channels into the P16-I? I guess with just splitting the inputs going to the Qu-32, you’d need preamps for each of them, since the Qu-32 doesn’t have direct outs for each channel (unlike i.e. the MixWizard).

orchardrise
    Participant

Thanks Ryan

Yep, the challenge is simply getting 16 mono audio sends out of the qu-32 in a way I can plug them into our existing monitoring gear.

Preferably without complexity and without tying up all the possible analog outs on the back of the mixer…

Thought USB might be an option, but then how to convert the USB stream simply…?

Dick Rees
    Participant

How about a pair of stage boxes? Either 2 x 168’s or a 2412 with an 84.

Either would give you 16 configurable outs for your use.

Profile photo of PEJ
    PEJ
    Participant

While you have made an investment is personal monitors, I would highly recommend providing each person with a mix output from the Qu32 (4 mono and up to 7 stereo) let them control the mix (channel levels, eq, comp) with the Qu-You app on a smart phones. Some just use an old phone (no SIM) and wifi and leave it in their instrument case.. Band members love the app, and the grouping of channels. It reduces clutter on the stage and points of failure. Download the app a try it in demo mode to see how it works. Sell the Beringher kit. Just my opinion. BTW. You’ll love the QU32. Wonderful set of tools under the covers, yet easy to use for novice assistants. Peter J, Qu32, Qu24 and AB168.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

One option appears to be a product such as the MOTU LP32 (https://motu.com/products/avb/lp32), which accepts USB and converts to either analog or ADAT optical.

The LP32 is an interface, not a host. You can’t hook it directly to a Qu32. You’d have to run them both to a computer and do the routing in there somehow. $600 for the MOTU, $500 for a computer, and you’ve got a really fiddly monitor system with a million failure points. Use the X32 you probably already have, or sell the Behringer gear and move up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.