USB Multitrack recording Qu-24

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions USB Multitrack recording Qu-24

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lee7 Lee7 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sam
    Sam
    Participant

What are the functions/restrictions of channels 17 and 18 as it pertains to multitrack recording? By default they are set as Main L and Main R outputs, but if I were to route them as channels 17 and 18 inputs for recording to USB, what problems will this cause me on the back end? Will I need to change them back to their original state for multitrack playback from the USB on the QU-24? Simple question, yes, but I’m new to all things regarding audio reinforcement and I rarely get to record live with this. An upcoming event requires all 18 channels and I will not have an opportunity to test.
    Thank you in advance for your input.

Sam

Profile photo of Sam
    Sam
    Participant

To add to that, am I better off skipping over channels 17 and 18, leaving well enough alone, and using inputs 19 and 20 for channels 17 and 18 inputs?

Thanks,
    Sam

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Multitrack 17 & 18 can be set to record and playback channels 17 & 18. While you could patch channels 19 & 20 to be recorded on those tracks, on playback, you can’t patch multitrack 17 & 18 back to channels 19 & 20.

Profile photo of Sam
    Sam
    Participant

That makes sense. The only reason I ask about 19 and 20 is because they are the default channels for input 17 and 18 in the usb routing page. This had me flummoxed on the intent of 17 and 18, and kind of still does. Why would Allen and Heath dedicate those two channels to L&R in the first place? Is it to get a recording of the effects chain of the board?

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

It’s because those are the two tracks you set when using qu-drive for two track stereo recording.

Profile photo of Sam
    Sam
    Participant

Ah. Thank you for the clarification and help.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

You can patch channels 17 & 18 to record anything you want, not just L&R. I have done this on my QU-SB.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.