USB Key for ME-1

Forums Forums ME Forums ME troubleshooting USB Key for ME-1

Tagged: 

This topic contains 22 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of lovebeaver lovebeaver 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

I have been trying to install a set ME-1s and I wanted to upgrade them to the latest firmware, but I cannot get any of my units to recognize any USB fob.

Are there any tricks to this? Size limitations? I have tried new ones (4G – FAT32) and reformatted older ones (1G FAT16).

Mark Pease
    Tech Directory
    Foothills Baptist Church
    Phoenix, AZ

Profile photo of Northernmonkry
    Northernmonkry
    Participant

As above, I am trying to update mine, but the units say no usb key found…..Im using the same key that I use to update our QU16.

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Guys

Sorry to hear you’re having problems updating. The ME-1 should support FAT32 USB keys; one suggestion is to format the key, then make sure that there is nothing else on the USB key other than the firmware.

The Qu16 USB key support is derived from the ME-1, but the improvements made as part of the Qu project have not been ported back into ME-1 yet. We hope to do this as part of a future firmware release.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Oddly enough I have 2 keys I have been using. Both are FAT32. One will work fine on any GLD desk I have tried, but won’t work on the GLD editor or an ME-1(freezes up the ME-1). The other key works fine on all 3. I have not gotten a QU in yet(backordered) so will be interested to see how it works. Can’t figure out why. The one that is erratic is a small(250MB) drive. The one that works fine on all is a 16GB. I have done 1.30 updates to 2 desks with it and it has a bunch of unrelated files and all my show files etc. along with the firmware.

I got it to work!

I got a new Sandisk 16G. Plugged it in to a ME-1 and it was not recognized. Grr….

I plugged it into may computer (a Mac) the drive had some software preinstalled. Opend Disk Utilities and erased the drive. I also renamed from “NO NAME” to “NONAM”.

This time, when I plugged it into the ME-1, it was recognized! I saved the configuration, installed the upgrade, and it worked.

Now I am ready for the ME-U when it comes.

Mark.

Profile photo of Liquid
    Liquid
    Participant

I too am completely unable to format any of my USB sticks to work. I have one old stick which is half broken and about to snap off which does work – it was already formatted to FAT32 and has loads of other stuff on it but I was able to flash the new update with it. However it’s about to die.

I have another stick which appears to be recognised but trying to save onto it hangs the ME-1.

Trying to format anything else to any format, any allocation unit value etc. does not work for me. I even ensured it was just called ‘ME’ and still nothing is recognised.

Is there a list of specific formats which should work?

Many thanks, Alan.

Profile photo of Liquid
    Liquid
    Participant

I also tried a low level format as well as intialising.

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Alan

Sorry that you’re having trouble finding a USB key that works with ME-1. The only supported format for the USB key is FAT32.

One thing you could try is to make sure there is only one partition on the key. Many drives come with hidden partitions, and these are not touched by a simple ‘format’. There should be plenty of information online for how to get rid of any hidden partitions on a USB key. ‘Diskpart’ seems to be the windows console command to use, but I don’t have any experience of using this myself.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of Liquid
    Liquid
    Participant

Hi Jeff, I’ve just tried that and no joy.

Does the USB key have to be below a certain size? The one stick which does work for me is old and only 512MB capacity. All my others are like 16GB and up.

Thanks for any info, Alan.

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Alan

ME-1 supports FAT32 only, and the maximum volume size for this filesystem is 32 gigabytes.

I don’t have a definitive solution for you, but if it was me, I would just try a couple of cheap, small drives, freshly formatted as FAT32.

I don’t know when the next ME-1 firmware is planned for, but improved USB key support is probably the biggest outstanding issue at this point. Not that this helps you now, but we are aware that this needs improvement.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of Liquid
    Liquid
    Participant

Hi Jeff, I’ve just noticed a release of V1.11 – is the USB key issue still down for a future update?

Thanks, Alan.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I recently setup 6 units. I went through about 4-5 FAT 32 formatted keys before I found one that worked.

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Alan

I wasn’t involved in the latest firmware, but my understanding is that it focused on the most common tech support issues. It doesn’t look like USB key support made that list, sorry.

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of Liquid
    Liquid
    Participant

Okay, thanks for the quick info.

Profile photo of MartinW
    MartinW
    Participant

I’m trying to update form 1.11 to the current release 1.13

I’m using the usb key that I used last time to update me-1, also today to update qu16.

I did a fat32 format, then copied on the new firmware (M0.pad and M4.pad)

The ME-1 firmware update page says On USB: Not found.

But when I read the USB key in my pc, ME-1 has created ME1CFG and ME1PST folders, and the presets have been saved in ME1PST – PRESET.ME1

So why can’t I update ME1?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.