USB HDD COMPATIBILITY

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting USB HDD COMPATIBILITY

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MJFeedback MJFeedback 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jaxe
    Jaxe
    Participant

I’m not very happy… I recently purchased a Qu16 and one of the features which sold me was recording directly to a USB hard drive. “It’s easy” according to the Home Page. I can’t find a USB HDD device that is compatible with the Qu16. I’ve purchased two already and tried another two which we had lying around. The Qu16 doesn’t recognize the drives and just sits there (for hours) “reading drive”. The computer stores are getting annoyed with me returning HDDs, not to mention it’s a waste of everybody’s time.
    Can anyone recommend a HDD that is actually compatible that is currently available from a dealer?
    Better yet, can Allen-Heath come up with a firmware fix so the USB can actually be used?
    Jaxe 🙁

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I use the Samsung M3 500gb USB powered external drive, works a treat so far.

Lee

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500gb-samsung-m3-portable-usb30-20-external-hard-drive-25-carbon-black-bus-powered-pc-mac

Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

I was lucky. I already owned a Western Digital My Passport 1Tb drive WDBABM0010BBK and even though it is NOT shown on the approved list, it works flawlessly.

Profile photo of prodigio
    prodigio
    Participant

The Qu-16 have still any problems with Qu-drive.
    For me is not exactly the best… Certainly requires revisions…

Profile photo of DMAudio
    DMAudio
    Participant

Jaxe – I had the same problem with the 1tb Seagate Backup Plus.

The drive DOES work, but to get it to recognise properly, I had to format it as FAT32 using my pc, then format it via the QU16. Has been working great ever since. Try that with your drive and see how you get on.

Profile photo of prodigio
    prodigio
    Participant

the fact is that this mixer should not work this way … should be highly flexible and reliable

Profile photo of DMAudio
    DMAudio
    Participant

They never once said it works with NTFS drives, so it stands to reason that you’d need to format the drive to FAT32 first.

I appreciate you’ve had problems prodigio, but they are aware of it, and are working on it. So far my mixer has been both highly flexible and reliable.

Profile photo of Jaxe
    Jaxe
    Participant

Hey… Thanks to DMaudio and everyone lending a helping hand! The Seagate Backup Plus (1TB USB 3.0) Model SRD0SP0 DOES WORK NOW that we formatted it (FAT32) using a Mac and only then the Qu-16 recognized the drive and we were able to format it agin with the Qu-16 AND managed to make some recordings. It’s been somewhat of a painful process but, looks like we’re in business. Otherwise so far, the Mixer looks awesome.
    Thanks again folks!
    Jaxe

Profile photo of DMAudio
    DMAudio
    Participant

Glad you got it working Jaxe. Hopefully other people having similar issues will see this and it helps them too. Apparently the jittering/cut-out issue should be fixed in a future fw update by increasing the buffer size. Fingers crossed!

Like all technology, the manufacturer can only test so much. There’s no substitute for the feedback you get from end users who will find every issue there is. The real test is how A&H deal with those issues…

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

DMAudio said “Like all technology, the manufacturer can only test so much. There’s no substitute for the feedback you get from end users who will find every issue there is. The real test is how A&H deal with those issues…”

+1 to that:)

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I suppose this makes perfect sense. If the drive was already formatted as NTFS (or other), the QU would never be able to read it.

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Ah ha.. yep…ok so QU16 can’t read a disk in NTFS to reformat. Needs to be in FAT32 first. Fair enough.

AH support: Definitely worth making this point explicitly in the article below to save frustrations..

https://allen-heath.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/774/273/understanding-qu-drive-and-usb

Profile photo of MJFeedback
    MJFeedback
    Participant

One point of note for anyone with Windows 8 (maybe 7 too) and wanting to format to FAT32.
    If you want to format your HDD to FAT32, you will need a 3rd party format utility. Windows 8 won’t let you. Your only choices are NTFS and exFAT – which is not FAT 32. I used one called guiformat. Please note you will need to remove the volume label on that disk before you can use guiformat to format/create a FAT32 filesystem. Then you will need to re-create the volume without assigning a drive letter to it. Yeah … it is not pretty. By all means make sure you do a quick format or you will be waiting … hours.

Once you have done that, the QU can recognize the disk and format it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.