USB-B Streaming dropouts

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting USB-B Streaming dropouts

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nottooloud nottooloud 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of EJC
    EJC
    Participant

Anybody else had issues recording full shows to DAW, with USB-B streaming?

Everything’s been solid for a year + , but just recently I’ve had a couple of shows with errors appearing once I’ve stopped recording/saved.

Recording drops out for a few samples, then restarts (resulting in a “skip” in audio; rather than periods of silence).

SQ5/7 (various individual units),
    Reaper v5.965/64 (licensed, not that it should matter),
    MacBook Pro 13″ 2020, OSX 10.15.7
    Catlina (not Big Sur)

The only thing I can think of is hard drive space – I try and dump out stuff I’m not currently working on, but I may still have a full show that I’m mixing, plus the full show currently being recorded.

Profile photo of ValveAmpTech
    ValveAmpTech
    Participant

The first thing to do is to try another (good quality) USB cable. If the connectors become even slightly loose, you can have annoying dropouts.
    Reaper is normally a very well behaved piece of software, but things like the recording buffer settings, and total number of recorded tracks can cause the symptoms you describe. Your suggestion regarding hard drive free space can also be a contributing factor. If the computer was formerly able to record the same number of tracks reliably, you could look at the amount of free space on your hard drive, and if it is filling-up, remove unused files.
    Unless the HDD is an SSD, regular defragmenting can be beneficial. (Also check that there are no failing sections on the HDD)
    Provided that you have a suitably fast CPU, adding additional memory can make the recording process run more easily.
    An under-reported problem can be overheating of the CPU in the computer: this will result in the OS slowing-down to reduce the system temperature. This problem is usually caused by a build up of dust and fluff partially blocking the CPU heatsink, or the exit vent from the fan.
    Also make sure that all unnecessary programs have been stopped, best done by preventing them from auto-starting with the OS.
    Have you changed your Anti-Virus program recently? Some, specifically Norton though this also applies to others, can be real resource hogs.

Profile photo of Remix
    Remix
    Participant

Hello
    I’ve got a drops problem with USB-B steaming. Wenn i playback multitrack from Reaper ( with default seting, recording is clean) there is some drops in sound (on all track) and this on comming aleatory.
    I try also with Liveprofessor, put input on USB 30 and output on USB31-32, put some Pink noise and also somting cut the sound. I change USB cable without succes.
    Material is: SQ5 1.5.9 (buy 2 month agoo)
    MacBook Pro 13¨with 2020 Ventura 13.3
    Thank for your helpfull

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

No dropouts Here, sorry. Maybe increase buffers?

Profile photo of Remix
    Remix
    Participant

Do for info , i Troy Winthertour à ôter computer and it work well,
    My mac is an MacBook 2020 and i fond on The Net that there is some problem with The USB 2 son this machine

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

I was having dropouts on my Reaper studio system. Really bad, you could hear it glitch if I clicked on another window. Turned out to be a reverb plug-in that needed updating.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.