UPS for SQ6

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions UPS for SQ6

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mr.Si
    Mr.Si
    Participant

Hi all,

Just wondering what UPS you would recommend for an SQ6 – I’ve just become an owner of one by proxy and want to protect it from power cuts in my venue (like today when we had terrible weather and the whole village went out).

I’m thinking an APC Smart UPS but not sure what size to use.

Thanks in advance!
    Simon

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@MrSi

the manual says Max Power Consumption SQ-5/SQ-6/SQ-7 75W / 90W / 110W

So you would need a power supply that can provide at least 90watts

Note that you can not power the SQ from an UPS for longer than the total stored power in the battery would last

UPS is intended for short interruptions not long term power provision.
    It is intended to help give you time to power off properly as well as fill in SHORT outages not to be used as main power source.

If your battery is not charged fully before use then the UPS will not help you at all should wall outlet power go out.

So figure out what UPS brand has at least 90 watts and what the time duration on the box claims for that model then compare to how long you think you need it to last.

Profile photo of Mr.Si
    Mr.Si
    Participant

Thank you @volunteer, yes I’m aware of the purpose of the UPS, having been in the IT world for a long time, but it’s good that you point it out for everyone’s benefit.

I’ve since seen the 90W setting thank you, so my thinking that an APC Smart UPS 750VA will be fine to power it and a couple of computers for a little while.
    It’s also to protect against surge for when power returns, as I had a Dell D6000 USB C hub lose all its USB ports yesterday and I think that happened at the “power-back-on” stage.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Hi Mr.Si – long time no see. Hope you’re well!

I’ve a smaller version of that APC one – think it’s 400VA though can’t remember exactly. I really consider its only function is to enable be to shut the desk down properly if the power fails, as all my speakers will go off anyway and my laptop can look after itself.

Profile photo of Mr.Si
    Mr.Si
    Participant

Hi Mark,

Thanks! That’s helpful.
    Yeah I’ve got a few other bits running such as a Mac Pro 5,1 and a couple of other bits such as some ubiquiti and cisco network devices.

Yes it has been a long time! I’ve not been on the BR much in the last decade.

Hope everything is well your end.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@MrSi

You need to add the watts used by all the devices on the UPS
    then the VA number of the UPS will be a guide to know if it is enough
    VA ~ watts depending on phase angle which hopefully will be near orthogonal if you do not have a reactive load.

The device should also have a watt-hour or watt-minute spec
    If the device watt hours is > than your load you should get about the minutes noted *IF* the battery is full.
    AND the battery is new. Many UPS batteries have a short life span. Some do not.
    Check reviews for the brand you plan to buy to be sure.

One guy here tried using the UPS before the battery was charged and had problems.
    He also expected to replace the mains power with UPS.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.