Uploading new FX

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Uploading new FX

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JGale
    JGale
    Participant

Hey guys,
    I’d like to use a 2.5-3 second delay, but my Qu-16 maxes at 1.36s… is there any way to expand this, or load additional FX into the board?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

no

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…maybe you could use two chained FX units with “external” feedback from FX2 Out to FX1 In.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Or a long input cable 😉

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

What is your use for this delay? Effect or other? There are ways to address this depending on your purpose.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Or a long input cable

not sure if damping of a 500Mm cable run (1Mm = 1.000km) is acceptable in this situation… 😉

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Might need some booster amps….

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Would be interesting to see the impulse response at the end…
    I strongly recommend to use such type of delay cable in a straight line only.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

So long as we can allow for one of the boost amplifiers to have the IO on the same side that’s fine – 1-1.5 seconds up, 1-1.5 seconds back down… 😉

On a slightly serious note there are organisations (high frequency trading) who have reels of fibre in the basement – to align the latency to various market locations. They literally make all the connections run over the same length of fibre – some of the reels are therefore kilometres long (although not 500 of them)

Actually the 500 reminds me of the 500 mile email problem… https://www.ibiblio.org/harris/500milemail.html

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…500.000 kilometres, otherwise you’ll end up in mSec. And copper, please… 😉

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I guess coiled cords are out of the question 🙂

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

maybe a good re-use of no longer used copper multicores.
    The coiling option depends on effect preferences. Since for a coiled cable inner and outer diameter of each single wire do have different length runs, you’ll get a cheesy impulse response similar to single and multimode fibres. I guess you effectively convert the delay line (when used straight) into some type of reverb when coiled. 😉

sorry for hijacking this formerly serious thread…

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

Back in the dark ages before Ethernet was invented, I worked on a LAN technology called Cambridge Ring. It used a phase locked communication over two twisted pairs. We tried to run it between two buildings about 1/2 mile apart connected by a CCTV multicore cable running in a duct. After a LOT of experimentation we discovered that for reasons of minimising cross talk the video cable pairs had different rates of twist and were consequently of a slightly different length. We inserted an extra 1.5 metres in one of the pairs, and hey presto it all started working.

And now back to your scheduled programme.

Dick Rees
    Participant

You can kludge this for use as an effect by using two channels fed by a y-cable from your source. Use the “A” channel as your dry signal. For the 3+ second delay, un-assign the “B” channel from the mains and use it as your fx feed…but use the input delay on that channel to help get the total desired delay time. Bring the fx back however you desire.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Oops…still not enough delay. Time for an outboard unit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.