upgrading to 1.8 – question

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions upgrading to 1.8 – question

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of john john 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of john
    john
    Participant

So, I’ve been using my qu-pac for about 4 months now and love it. I’ve been running version 1.7 and had the corresponding qu-pad app. Since everything was working so well, I had no intention of upgrading the software when 1.8 came out. Unfortunately, my kids updated all my apps on the ipad. So now I’m stuck with app version 1.8. As a result, I have to upgrade the qu-pac as well. So a couple of questions for all of you who know the system much better than me:

1) Will I lose my scenes and any settings n my qu-pac by upgrading my qu-pac to 1.8?
    2) Is there any data saved on the Ipad itself? I’ve been using a 6 year old ipad and I think if I do upgrade everything to 1.8, I may have to get a new ipad 2. If I do, and then upload the latest version of qu-pad to it, am I losing all my settings and such? Likewise, if I can figure out how to install an older version of the app on my current ipad, will I lose settings? Or is everything saved to the qu-pac?

Thanks.

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

Hi John, this shouldn’t be a problem and you’ll benefit from the great new features in v1.8.
    The first iPad is no longer supported by Apple and can’t be updated past iOS5. Anything later that this will be fine.

You may be able to restore from an iPad backup: https://support.apple.com/kb/ph12521?locale=en_GB this is risky and you may find that a backup has been overwritten since…

1. Qu firmware updates won’t overwrite scenes stored in the mixer, but make a backup onto a USB key to be extra safe.
    You can use the same key to update the firmware too.

Plug in a USB key which can be erased into the Qu-Drive port.
    Go to SETUP > UTILITY > QU-DRIVE and press FORMAT.
    Once this has been done the same key can be used to save the show file and copy the firmware update file to.
    Go to USB DATA > SHOWS and press STORE NEW (To USB). This show file will contain all of the scenes currently in the mixer.
    You can then download the Qu v1.8 Chrome update here: https://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/qu-series/?download=10038
    Now plug the USB key into your computer and copy the .QUU firmware file to the root drive of the key.
    Once this is done put the key back into the Qu-Drive port and go to SETUP > UTILITY > FIRMWARE
    The mixer should show “Found V1.8*.****”
    If it does, press UPDATE!
    The screen will go blank and the softkeys will flash in sequence.
    When this is complete the mixer will reboot automatically.
    Do not remove power or the USB device during the firmware update until the mixer has completed the process and rebooted completely.

2. No data is saved in Qu-Pad, it uses 2 way control messages to communicate with the mixer, so no worries here.
    If you load a scene Qu-Pad should follow the scene settings.

Let me know if you need any more help. 🙂

Profile photo of john
    john
    Participant

Thanks! I did make a backup of all scenes and an entire show. I then updated to 1.8, and it seems to be working with my old Ipad with v.1.8. So I think I’m good to go. I appreciate the help and answers.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.