Unlink stereo mix outputs

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Unlink stereo mix outputs

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Synergy
    Synergy
    Participant

Why are the stereo mix outputs permanent linked. IMHO, the mixer does not have 10 mix outputs, it only have 7 mix outputs (1, 2, 3, 4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10) as long as they are linked. This could be changed in software easily.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

That has been asked before, I’m guessing the hardware is locked into the stereo mix mode on those outputs.
    IF you need more mixes remember if your using any QU other than the Qu16 you can convert the groups to operate as a mix.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

With some creative panning you can sort of use the stereo mixes as 2 mono mixes.

Profile photo of Synergy
    Synergy
    Participant

I am trying to save those outputs for FOH mix. I have a QU-32 as well but sometimes need to mix side stage. The Qu-Pac would be perfect for that while running all my monitors via the MIX busses

Profile photo of Synergy
    Synergy
    Participant

Yes, I know that but even those are locked in stereo. I need at least 12 independent mixes. I am trying to use it for a monitor mixer (24×12). We have 6 IEs and 6 cabs. It make little sense to lock the link. I can only use 1 side of each stereo link. That gives me 11 outputs. I know of no other mixer that does that.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Yes, I know that but even those are locked in stereo. I need at least 12 independent mixes. I am trying to use it for a monitor mixer (24×12). We have 6 IEs and 6 cabs. It make little sense to lock the link. I can only use 1 side of each stereo link. That gives me 11 outputs. I know of no other mixer that does that.

Are you using the mixer for a main LR mix as well or only as a dedicated monitor board?

If it is a dedicated monitor mixer you could use the LR main mix as the 12th monitor mix. I did that a couple times back with my GL2400 and GL2200 when using them as a
    monitor mixer and needing just one more mix.

I’ve done the mix stereo panning trick like GaryH mentioned to feed a couple of fill zones but it would be tricky to keep track of in an active monitor mix situation.
    Now for a somewhat set and forget type of monitor mix it would work.

Profile photo of Synergy
    Synergy
    Participant

It seems like there are no more features coming. Its been 2 1/2 years with no updates or feature adds. so it sounds like i’m out of luck

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@synergy

Just what features do you think should and could be added to the Qu?

I do not see how you are out of luck. You could buy an SQ if you want ‘more’.
    You could add a QU16 and get more mixes.

To answer your OP it is because of the hardware architecture of the device.
    Do you really ‘need’ 12 mixes or do you merely want 12 mixes.

You bought this 2.5 years ago. Why didn’t you wait to buy something with all that you ‘need’.
    If you outgrew it then how is that the fault of AH not making updates to suit your new situation?
    Why didn’t you buy something that would have had room for you to grow initially?

Profile photo of Synergy
    Synergy
    Participant

irst of, yes I need at least 12 mix’s. I am out of luck because I have not seen an update in 2 1/2 years so I think they are done adding features. I just bought the QU-Pac not 2 1/2 years ago. Are you from A&H? Who told you its a hardware limitation? I’m not sure I buy that.

volounteer
    Participant

@synergy

I am NOT from AH. Not selling anything.
    Just inferring the architecture from all that I see and my knowledge of electronics.

You are not out of luck.
    You just expect too much.

Not much they can add in the way of features that would help you.
    Really not much they can add anyway without a total new architecture and a new design for the next generation.
    QuPac appears to have 10 mix outs. Use one of those to get your 12.

Sell your Qupac and get a Qu24 and have room to grow with more mixes than anyone will ever need.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Volounteer…

Here you go again ….

You could add a QU16 and get more mixes.

How do you propose adding a QU16 to his Qu32 to get more mixes?
    Qu mixers can not be linked together to make a larger mixer.
    Yes you could split some of the inputs to feed two mixers
    and operate them independently, not what he is wanting to do.

QuPac appears to have 10 mix outs. Use one of those to get your 12.

A QU Pac has all the processing and mixes that a QU32 does, to gain the extra 16 inputs
    and the additional physical outs of the Qu32 you do need to use an AB168 or AR2412 stage box.

Sell your Qupac and get a Qu24 and have room to grow with more mixes than anyone will ever need

A QU Pac and a stage box gives you more “mixer” than a QU24 short of not having a full mixer surface.

As for more mixes that anyone will ever need….I guess there’s no reason for Allen Heath or anyone else to be building mixers that can do 60 or more output mixes.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I don’t know enough about how the QU works to be sure, but I’d guess that if this “could be changed in software easily” it would have happened by now.

With groups turned into Mixes, and the main output, 12 monitor mixes is doable on the 32, Pac & SB – I’ve done it with the Pac. For IEM, the fact that up to 8 of those mixes could be stereo is a bonus. You mention 24 inputs, so I guess you already have a stage box which you’ll also need for the group outputs.

If starting from scratch, them I’d maybe consider an SQ, which could run with all inputs split (internally) to two channels so that you use 24 channels for mons & another 24 for FOH, with groups & matrix still available for FOH if needed. As a bonus the splitters that I assume you use to get inputs to two QU desks could go too. Then use a tablet on stage for monitors if required.

I’d imagine that selling on a QU-Pac and Qu-32 would get you at least an SQ5 for little or no extra money.

Profile photo of Synergy
    Synergy
    Participant

I should clarify, I use the QU32 for FOH. My thought to replace my A&H MixWizard WZ3-12M with a QUPAC. In the event we need to run side stage I would use the main L&R of the QUPAC instead of my QU32. I run a true split monitor mix. I have no issues with the QU32 for FOH it does a nice job.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

split the channel inputs with a Y connector
    raise the gain to make up for it

If AH sees a market then they will make devices with 1000 mixes
    I guess there may be some ONE who needs 60 mixes but I have never seen such a case.
    But I never claimed to be a touring live show person. My experience was in small studio work, until the church needed help.

Who would NEED 60 mixes? Some massive broadway show?
    How many of those are there compared to more normal needs for mixes?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I should clarify, I use the QU32 for FOH. My thought to replace my A&H MixWizard WZ3-12M with a QUPAC. In the event we need to run side stage I would use the main L&R of the QUPAC instead of my QU32. I run a true split monitor mix. I have no issues with the QU32 for FOH it does a nice job.

The Mix Wiz monitor mixer was a nice compact 12 mix monitor board, had a bluegrass band
    use one a couple years ago, rack mounted up with a split for me to FOH.

The most you could squeeze out of a QU Pac is 12 mixes and to get the additional physical outputs you would need to use a stage box.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.