Unbearably slow USB transfer

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Unbearably slow USB transfer

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 9 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Hi chaps,

Did a few multi-track recordings recently, 18 channels directly to a USB 3.0 hard disk.

Anyone know why transferring the files off the drive to computer is painfully slow?

I get about 6mb/second when copying to both my Windows 7 laptop AND my Macbook Pro which is pretty unacceptable in this day and age!

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

1. Were all the sessions on the disc together or did you follow the recommended procedure of one session at a time?

2. Which brand/model of hard disc?

Profile photo of John-B
    John-B
    Participant

For the MacBook Pro, most likely because it’s simultaneously converting the files from Fat 32 to HFS+ (default Mac OS 10) for Windows 7, maybe re-writing the files to another format? I remember transferring an 18 track section to my 2012 Mac Pro, and it basically took real time.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

If you have usb3.0 on your pc and it’s that slow, update your drive and port firmware & drivers.
    If your Mac doesn’t have usb 3 the fastest way to get the files is via gigabit Ethernet file sharing from PC to Mac.
    Also if you copy all files at once as opposed to one at a time, it will appear to take a lot longer!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

The files are interleaved as well, so the drive might just be thrashing to find stuff all the time – whatever you do!

I don’t find that it takes too long to copy the files of my stick – but decent USB Solid State devices can take some serious speed…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

6 MB… it seems that you are using USB 2.0 ports to transfer…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

When you copy a group of files between physical drives, particularly on the Mac, ensure they’re copied in series and not in parallel. When copying files concurrently, the drive is seeking its heads most of the time…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

“Also if you copy all files at once as opposed to one at a time, it will appear to take a lot longer!”

I’ve had to move a lot of short video files about at work recently. According to my experiments, it does take quite a lot longer to do them all together, provided of course, that you’re ready to start each one when doing it one at a time.

Starting them all and going for a coffee can work too though………..

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Doing a command line based transfer will do it sequentially – so that much be a better option than using some WIMP interface…

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Mine is not slow, on an i7 iMac. About 5 minutes for 20 Gigs via USB3 with Sandisk Extreme. Don’t know why yours is so slow, but it is not normal.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

@Lou: …FlashDrives to not have moving heads like HDDs, they’re naturally much faster if data is not contiguous or multiple streams are copied in parallel…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.