Un "insert@ channel

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Un "insert@ channel

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mervaka mervaka 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

While I was having a bit of trouble routing my fx last week, I managed to “insert” ch1 on the desk. The yellow insert light is on but I don’t know what’s it’s inserted to and how to get it off. I’ve been through routing and front and back fx panels but to no avail – any quick fix out there?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

To use the insert in/out button on a channel, you need to have something inserted on it. Re-insert an FX, push the button on the processing screen to ‘out’ then de-insert it again.

robbocurry
    Participant

Good man Mervaka! I was hoping someone would have the answer:)
    I tried routing and routing back to no avail. I’ll try that now, thanks!

robbocurry
    Participant

That was the solution exactly – damned if I could find that in the manual! Mervaka you are a fountain of knowledge – ta;)

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

Hi robbo,
    I have a question. If I understand, what you did was effectively insert channel one to nothing. It would be like plugging an insert cable into a analog mixer with nothing at the other end of the cable.

I’m wondering what happened to the signal path. Did it still pass a signal or was the channel “dead”?

robbocurry
    Participant

Hey Mamerica,
    It still passed a signal and I was able to use any of the FX on the mixer using the FX send and return faders.
    As I said, it got patched in when I was desperately hunting for my lost FX. I returned to a pre update saved scene and my FX came back. The insert light was on in the channel but was making no difference to the output as far as I could tell.
    TBH I haven’t really got my head around using the insert method.
    I’ve inserted comps and fx units on analogue mixers over the years and I understand that methodology no problem.
    I just don’t see a use for it on the QU.
    Send on faders is so handy, why do I need elaborate routing to achieve the same result?
    I can guess that inserting the FX will achieve a different result as it’s at a different stage of the channel chain? I haven’t really thought about it that much but the option to return to “FX” rather than “Channel” or “insert” seems a straightforward choice.
    I haven’t had the mixer long so maybe the eureka moment that insert becomes useful will hit me at some stage!
    If you know of any situations where it’s necessary, please let me know!

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response. Now I’m even more confused.
    But as for your question, since you have a four-space effects rack but only two effect sends, I can see where inserts would come in handy. You could insert a reverb on a snare drum and a doubler on a vocal mic and still have your effects busses free. I imagine they will add additional effects to the board too. A multi-band compressor would be an ideal candidate for an insert.

robbocurry
    Participant

Sorry about adding to your confusion!
    I see where you’re coming from regarding inserts now – the insert is just replacing a basic FX send/return setup like on the QU16, four FX engines but only two dedicated FX send/return faders…?

robbocurry
    Participant

…..with wet/dry mix, I think I get it!

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

With regard to an unassigned insert being ‘in’ I believe it just preserves the in/out state, which would take effect the next time something was inserted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.