Two QU mixers, one dSnake system. Will it work?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Two QU mixers, one dSnake system. Will it work?

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of treeMack
    treeMack
    Participant

Our church has a QU-32 for Front of House with two AB168 boxes on stage and a bunch of the ME-500 personal mixers. I was thinking of connecting a QU-SB to the link out of the last ME in order to run the broadcast mix. Will this work? Or do I need to run a network hub? if so, are there any gotcha’s on the network hub I can use? Will a regular gigabyte hub work?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

This will not work, even with a hub. Each Qu mixer needs to be a master clock, and you can’t have two of those on the same system.

An SQ could be used with what you have, with no need for a hub. Kieth’s video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcKhHFQTRQU&feature=youtu.be I’m not 100% sure of how your ME500s would fit in that setup though.

Other options could be just using an extra iPad (or Android tablet with the excellent Mix Station App) for the broadcast mix, or using another ME, though neither of these give you as much control as a full desk would.

Or old school analogue splitters would work of course.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi treeMack,

Connecting Qu to Qu is not supported unfortunately, so you’ll need an external audio split for a separate mixer feed.

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of Walhallyus
    Walhallyus
    Participant

treeMack how did you solved this? I also have a qu24 at church with a me-1 for monitoring and want to have a different board for live streaming. We currently use an analog snake and we would like to change it to a digital stagebox. Is it possible to connect current qu24 to a SQ board and a stagebox and also using the me-1?

MarkPAman
    Participant

Yes, sort of. The S-Link port on an SQ can be connected to a Qu desk & you can patch audio between them. But you’ll need to fit an extra S-Link (option card) to connect any stage box and/or ME system.

This may help

MarkPAman
    Participant
    Profile photo of Westamaway
    Westamaway
    Participant

Hi all,

A slight twist on this issue. We have the SQ6 at our church and we want to do the exact same thing. Split the signals at the stage box point and send the second lot to a second desk (probably QU16). Can someone tell me if this would work and if so a quick explanation of how the setup would need to be.

Thanks you so much.

MarkPAman
    Participant

I did almost exactly this a couple of weeks ago for a week of recording live perfomances for video (as we’re not allowed an audience this year)

So, I had stage box (AR2412 in my case) connected to the SQ6’s built in Slink port. Then in the SQ’s card slot, I used an Slink card, and connected this to a Qu-24.

On the SQ’s I/O patching screen, I set up Tie Lines to send the stage box’s inputs to outputs on the card, which the Qu could see as inputs.

The SQ then looks after all gain & phantom control.

For my event the SQ was looking after recording, while the Qu was acting as monitor desk.

Profile photo of Westamaway
    Westamaway
    Participant

Thank you so much MarkPAman. And just to check. Would this give each desk the opportunity to have complete and independent eq control for each channel?

MarkPAman
    Participant

Yes – it’s just the gain (and phantom) that the Qu can not control.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.