Two performance stages, one ipod question

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Two performance stages, one ipod question

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Motherlode
    Motherlode
    Participant

Hi there,

I have indoor and outdoor performance stages that are both in the same venue (only one stage is has live band at any time). When no bands are on I play one iPod on both stages. When a band is onstage outside (Qu-SB), I send the LR signal to the inside stage (Qu-32) via Matrix to and input channel. Same set up for band onstage inside, I send LR to the outside via Matrix to an input channel. The ipod lives with the inside Qu-32 and plays continuously, i just mute it when a band is live.

Is there a better way to do this? I only know enough to be dangerous and find myself being soundman, bouncer, bar back, trash guy etc. so simplicity makes my life a bit easier when things really get busy…

The muting and unmuting process is kind of complicated and I recently blew or fried something on my inside Main PA. I think I sent the Ipod outside and then the outside sent it back inside and we went for some kind of loopy ride real fast until the system broke…

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Split it befor the desk and send it to both stages
    you can unmute where you need

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Steffen, the problem with that is possible noise being picked up in a long unbalanced cable.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Steffen, the problem with that is possible noise being picked up in a long unbalanced cable.

What long, unbalanced cable would that be? You simply split the signal into two channels of the Qu32 instead of feeding it into a single channel as is apparently being done now. Use ST1 and ST2 or whatever. Less fiddlish to mute each send as required.

SteffenR
    Participant

splitting done right would not introduce noise…
    use DI boxes…
    lokal connection with unbalanced link outputs, the long way with balanced cables

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Stereo will require 2 balanced cables and di boxes. Maybe you could set up a mute group that will block the chance of a loop and assign it to a softkey.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Stereo will require 2 balanced cables and di boxes. Maybe you could set up a mute group that will block the ch

Not necessarily. There are several options depending on equipment available, length of run, etc. Cables and DI’s are just one option. Hard-wired connection of two systems should incorporate transformer isolation in any case. If OP has a spare IEM rig, the send could be wireless and obviate need for the transformer.

SteffenR
    Participant
    Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

A few years ago I was asked to help a large choir singing while walking between two churches, and needing to take their recorded accompanying music with them.

One source was not really enough, as they were getting on for 100m from one end to the other for much of the walk, so battery powered PAs in two trollies was wanted. After much experimenting, I ruled out wireless solutions as being unreliable, but found that 2 iPods, with identical playlists, stayed in sync perfectly for the 45 minutes required. Tested, by doing the walk with the MD, with one earpiece from each iPod in each ear. The iPods were the same sort, which may be important.

Unfortunately, there was a massive thunderstorm on the evening it was supposed to take place, so we never actually did it! However, I’d suggest that 2 iPods would be a simple solution to the problem here.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.