Two C3500 with a CDM48 mix rack

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Two C3500 with a CDM48 mix rack

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Fabbabo Fabbabo 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Fabbabo
    Fabbabo
    Participant

Hello guys, question:

I was checking the system of two C3500 with a single mixrack 48/32 CDM48.
    It is paramount that the Mon desk gets all the available outs (32 of the mix rack plus the 6 onboard the desk) cause the MON needs to feed a 24 pieces IEM. So here is the question:

2 desks C3500 sharing the same dlive mix rack 48 In 32 outs. I am aware of gain sharing and it is fine. I was reading about multi surface FOH/ MON application where both surfaces shares the same mix rack. I want the MON to have all 32 outs plus the 6 analog onboard the desk. I will add a DX (or whatever it is called) for the FOH stereo out to feed the PA. Is that possible?!
    Thanks in advance for your help 🙂

Profile photo of msteel
    msteel
    Participant

Note that the CDM48 has only 24 analog outputs, not 32.

If you haven’t found the “Understanding Multi-Surface” document yet then you should find it and read it. It helps but when I read it there were details that didn’t seem to be completely explained.
    With multi surface a dLive system is really still one mixer. But with the flexible surface strip layout, you can only have faders on your surface that “belong” to the job you’re doing – whether they are input channels or output channels. And you can use the role filters to prevent a snapshot recall on one surface from messing up things that “belong” to the other surface. Those two factors can make it operate pretty much like two mixers.

But because it is really still one mix engine, you can patch any bus to any I/O. So you could use all the Mix Rack I/O for monitors if you wanted. You could actually even use the FOH surface I/O for monitors if that ever made sense – but you would have to do the patching from the FOH surface in that case.

Profile photo of Fabbabo
    Fabbabo
    Participant

Thank you for your reply 🙂
    U r right it is not a CDM 48, I was mistaken, the mixrack is the following:
    a Allen & Heath DLive DM0 Mixrack 16/8/8
    a Allen & Heath DLive Dx-Stagerack 32/28/8 and finally a DX012.
    I read the pdf unerstanding Multi Surfaces but it was not clear if all Outs could be assigned to one surface only in a FOH/MON Multi-Surface configuration.
    I understood now that it is possible, with some sacrifice since 2 desks sharing a mixrack only one of the desk will be able to use the I/0 port and the xlr I/O. The other desk is just a remote. You can share all the effect.
    In this setup I will have to take L/R from the stage to feed the PA which is absolutely fine by me. As you said the system can be considered as one desk and in that way I will have also to share the amount of FX in a manner that it will be convenient for both MON and FOH.

Profile photo of andiabwaerts
    andiabwaerts
    Participant

in my opinion 1 mixrack will have too not enough power to feed 24 stereo IEM busses and fullfill a decent number of busses for groups, fx, matrices both for mons and foh. better get a second mixrack and keep mons and foh separated processing wise.

Profile photo of Lennypazz
    Lennypazz
    Participant

We tried 2 C3500s (one for foh, the other livestream) with one CDM48 and had nothing but problems. The scene recalls affected both boards at times, and there was too much interaction between the consoles. It could have been that we just didn’t understand the system, but we could never completely isolate them. We added a DM0 to the livestream console and connected it to the CDM48 and it completely isolated them.

Profile photo of Fabbabo
    Fabbabo
    Participant

got it thx 🙂

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

We tried 2 C3500s (one for foh, the other livestream) with one CDM48 and had nothing but problems. The scene recalls affected both boards at times, and there was too much interaction between the consoles.

You can fix that with Roles and Role Safes. You designate a role for each surface in “Surface -> Control -> Surface Prefs”. Then in “Scenes -> Role Safes”, you can designate which settings each surface can mess with.

Don’t forget to check the “Allow surface only recall” option on all but one of the Surfaces, otherwise recalling a show messes up everyone. It’s available by going to Shows screen and pressing the Setup button (which is the middle of the three buttons right under the “In” button for inserts on S class surfaces… not sure about the C class surfaces).

Profile photo of Fabbabo
    Fabbabo
    Participant

great thx 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.