Tutorial for Beginners? Totally Lost !

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Tutorial for Beginners? Totally Lost !

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of klauskobald
    klauskobald
    Participant

I just got a qu-core 32 and have to set this up for a client. I never had a digital mixer.
    I want to setup 2 scenes:

Scene 1)
    route 8 inputs to 8 outputs (Speakers) – one to one
    On the iPad app I see:
    Inputs / Mix / Fx ….
    On the right side I see Grp 1-2 …. Mix1, Mix2, …..
    It all hilites nicely, but I do not understand the concept of how to route things. Do I need a group? What´s the Mix then? What are the steps to route a channel to a mix/group?

Scene 2)
    Route all Inputs to 4 left Speakers and 4 Right Speakers. Add Delay to Speakers that are closer to the Audience.

The manual is almost good for nothing. It´s more a reference guide but does not explain the Concept. Any help would be appreciated.

klauskobald
    Participant

I think, I found most of that what I need by tapping wildly 🙂

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

Completely agree. The documentation is poor, although good for engineers. It falls far short of what is needed.

And there is nothing to give the overview of the big picture so you can easily grok the details when you do read them, and some of those are missing!

They seem to think some random utboob videos are sufficient. They are too slow and you cant easily review the parts you want like something on paper. Nor make notes about things they forget to mention.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

What is a Qu-core 32?

volounteer
    Participant

I am guessing it is this:

Qu-32 | Allen & Heath
    https://www.allen-heath.com › ahproducts › qu-32
    Qu-32 is equipped with 5 high efficiency ARM core processors. … The mixer’s DSP farm exploits next generation dual-core DSPs, giving 10 DSP cores, 8 of which are dedicated to channel and mix processing alone.

SteffenR
    Participant

I doubt that he means this…
    he is talking about the iPad app and not the desk itself

and I disagree to your statement… if you are familiar with mixing
    then the workflow on the Qu seriues is pretty simple and easy
    and the Quick Start Guide and the Reference Manual cover all available funktions.

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mixer-Getting-Started-Guide-AP10025_2-V1.9.pdf

SteffenR
    Participant

Scene 1)
    route 8 inputs to 8 outputs (Speakers) – one to one
    On the iPad app I see:
    Inputs / Mix / Fx ….
    On the right side I see Grp 1-2 …. Mix1, Mix2, …..
    It all hilites nicely, but I do not understand the concept of how to route things. Do I need a group? What´s the Mix then? What are the steps to route a channel to a mix/group?

can you explain what you mean with “route 8 inputs to 8 outputs”

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

I am quite familiar with mixing. I am a licensed professional engineer and used to reading technical documents. I have also been a professional writer for one of my jobs.

The Qu documentation is good for engineers, but falls short of what is needed to be proper documentation of that device.
    Not everyone else is going to be an engineer nor familiar with mixing. And the documentation omits things as well as fails to provide the overview necessary to understand the device more quickly.

While you can dig most things out if you read it enough and then play with the board that does not make the documentation adequate.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Hmm, reading the manual of a car do not give you the ability to drive it. I am mechanical engineer and one of the first things I have learned in school was to not touch a machine before you know the fundamentals and how to handle it.
    If someone is not trained enough in the fundamentals of using a soundsystem including Microphones, Speakers, amps, cabeling and also mixers and the rest of the eqipment the rule of thump is „don‘t touch anything“. I know, in churches there are a lot of so called volunteers and all of them should handle the soundsystem. So, why nobody train that persons in a suitable way. It is not in the responsibility of the manufacturer. It has to be done by the one who is the expert at place. This is at least the approach here in center europe;-)

klauskobald
    Participant

qu-core is written on the right bottom of the device.
    anyhow.
    I figured out all the routing. I was not familiar with the concept coming from old analog consoles, so it took me 1 hour, which I found too long. (unpatience)
    Some things are a bit hidden.

8 in to 8 out means: route 8 line inputs to 8 line outputs where no 1 in goes to no 1 out. I found out that is best to use the stereo mixes 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, L-R for that.

Since there are enough inputs I can do anything with one scene and setup some qucontrol buttons for the client.

Good mixer – like it.

Profile photo of Amal
    Amal
    Participant

Hi,

I got a QU-24 and it is a great mixer. I am new to the field and need to understand how to configure DCA groups. I know what a DCA group does but cannot get my head around it. The manual does not clearly explain this . QU-32 has it own DCA group faders and QU-24 does not. Can someone kindly explain me how to do this (with an example If possible). Your help is much appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Amal

SteffenR
    Participant

on the custom layer you can add DCA faders

to assign a chanel to a DCA
    select that channel > switch to routing > there is a TAB with DCA and Mute assignments

the quick start guide helps a lot

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mixer-Getting-Started-Guide-AP10025_2-V1.9.pdf

volounteer
    Participant

@mfk0815

Of course not. But it makes it easier to drive the car when the manual properly explains the controls and how to use them especially when they interact with other controls.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

I agree with those that are saying that the supplied manuals are hard to learn from. The videos help considerably (Thank you, Keith!), but they actually fall short for someone not very familiar with digital mixing.
    I would suggest at least a few videos where, while explaining things like “… this is where you set up DCA groups…” you would also see/hear, “… you might use a DCA group for [this scenario]. Here is how you would do that: Start with…” Does that make sense? So instead of just listing all of the features and showing where to find them, you explain how those features might be used, and show an example or two.
    I think that would go a long way toward bridging those who volunteer at churches, etc. into getting more comfortable with doing what should and needs to be done on the console.

volounteer
    Participant

@dave

+10E6 !!

I would go much higher but I do not find the videos at all useful.
    They are too slow , most are poorly done and hard to see what is really happening, and the sound is often terrible too.
    I have to be extremely desperate to ever even try a utoob video, and there has to be no other source of info at all.

Not sure that digital mixing is really any different, but digital mixers are certainly a lot different than some analog ones we may have used.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.