TRS I/O versus XLR I/O

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions TRS I/O versus XLR I/O

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lozion Lozion 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

Reading the spec sheet, it shows THD on the XLR inputs, but shows nothing for the TRS inputs.

Just wondering if the TRS path is cleaner for line level devices due to avoiding a mic pre or if they have a lower grade converter compared to the XLR ins.

Plan on inserting a Waves MaxxBCL on my main L/R and trying to keep it clean as possible (AES out, either TRS or XLR back in)

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@ianhind

All inputs use the same convertors so the only difference will be the mic preamp.
    By using the TRS to bypass this, you may be able to run some tests and show a difference in THD and/or noise, but as you will notice from the specs on the preamps, the THD+N difference between 0dB and 30dB gain is 0.001%THD and 1dBu, so they’re rather clean and I’d be surprised if you could hear any difference.

Cheers,
    Keith

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

Great, thanks Keith!

Profile photo of Lozion
    Lozion
    Participant

Hi, how did you end up running the Waves?
    I also plan on adding ours with our SQ and DX012 setup via AES.
    Txs.

Profile photo of Lozion
    Lozion
    Participant

Hi Keith,

We are updating our SQ6 (and Bss Soundweb) system soon with:

1x DX164W
    4X DX012
    1x DXhub

THe DX012s will connect to our amps (14 Powersoft X4) via AES but we also have a Waves MaxxBCL limiter to be used in the chain for protection and color. I’m not sure which is the best way to integrate it since the objective is to run our kit full AES and the Waves does have AES in & out but running an insert like the OP does is counter-intuitive because the return leg is analogue.. Thoughts?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@lozion

Nice setup!
    Obviously the AES out is easy as there’s one built-in and you’ve also mentioned the DX012’s.
    AES inputs seem to be used far less frequently with SQ’s and we don’t get a lot of requests for them, but there are a couple of options.
    – A DX32 fitted with a digital input card
    – A Dante AVIO AES3/EBU adaptor in conjunction with a Dante option card

As you’re using a hardware box for colour however, and with the SQ having decent convertors and being such low latency, wouldn’t analogue be fine?

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Lozion
    Lozion
    Participant

Txs Keith, I’ll give it a shot analogue and see..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.