Trouble with Qu-16 and USB drives

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Trouble with Qu-16 and USB drives

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of snoggin snoggin 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of snoggin
    snoggin
    Participant

Hi all I have been loving my new QU but I cant get Qu drive to work with any USB stick I Bought a brand new San disk 64 GB extreme USB 3.01 as its on the approved list and still no joy

First I tried a Lacie rugged 1TB drive I have and it just keeps blinking “reading drive” but nothing ever happens.

The new san Disk asks me to format it which I select but then it just hangs on ” formating” Thats if I turn the qu on with the stick inserted
    If I plug in after its on it gets stuck on ” reading drive”.. I tried to reformatting my new sandisk to fat 32 and still nothing..

It came as EXFAT

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help

Tim

Profile photo of AlanG
    AlanG
    Participant

AFAIUI Qu reads & writes only FAT32 file formats & large USB & Drives may increasingly be formatted in ExFat (as you found).

I suggest your solution may be to format in FAT on a windows machine (this is selectable) and then reformat on the Qu

Of course its the same format standard but will be then in a fast Qu pattern

Anyway, try it & see.

AlanG

Profile photo of Eddy_current
    Eddy_current
    Participant

Formatting to FAT32 on Windows 10 is not supported for ‘larger’ >32 GB USB flash drives. However I have had success with a tool from the Verbatim website, the tool is called “SmartDisk_FAT32_tool.exe”. I have just used this tool to format a WD My Passport SSD (500GB) that was not recognised by my Qu-24,the drive is now seen by the Qu and I am able to reformat it using the QU format utility. I’m just experimenting with a multitrack recording, its been running now for 40 mins without any errors being reported, fingers crossed!

https://verbatim.com/index/search.php?words=fat32+tool

Profile photo of snoggin
    snoggin
    Participant

I think its probably the 32 gb limitation thats causing me trouble the San disk extreme does not support partitioning apparently and I can’t seem to find a 32 GB version any more.. I did the reformat on a pc and still does the same thing
    frustrating

Ill see if I can find a 32 GB one somewhere I guess? Unfortunately I dont have a PC at home or office.. all MAC

Profile photo of Keef
    Keef
    Participant

Have you tried the Disk Utility app on OS X to format the drive to FAT32? Think that works with drives >32gb.

Profile photo of snoggin
    snoggin
    Participant

Well I guess the new San disk extreme 3.1 64 is not compatible.. on the list I saw an entry saying it was but there is another saying no

I got a lacie rugged mini 1 Tb. And all is hunky Dory now

Profile photo of snoggin
    snoggin
    Participant

So the Lacie rugged mini seems to work ok but I have an issue Im wondering about that doesnt seem to happen every time.. When I arm and start to record in multitrack I am hearing hard drive noises that actually come out of the mains.. Doesnt affect the recording but its annoying sometimes it seems to go away other times like last night it doesnt. sometimes doesnt happen at all. at home Irun the left right out into a bose L1 mainly for vocals.

Dont get how the Qu would get noise into the mains from the harddrive.. Any idea?

Thanks!!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Do you have the ST3 muted? That’s a known source of noise from the USB port.

Profile photo of snoggin
    snoggin
    Participant

Ah No I dont!! Ill check that out in about ten minutes !

Thank you,,,,,, hope that s it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.