Trouble with MIDI Translator and Qlab MIDI messages

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Trouble with MIDI Translator and Qlab MIDI messages

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of OrcasCenter OrcasCenter 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of OrcasCenter
    OrcasCenter
    Participant

Hello! I’m not sure how to keep this succinct – I’ll do my best. We own an SQ6 and use it in our theatre. We run Qlab for show control. I can successfully control the SQ6 from the SQ Mixed app on the Mac and an iPad. I’d really like to be able to send simple commands from Qlab to SQ6, such as mute / unmute and a few fader levels. I have watched every A&H video on YouTube & Facebook (thanks A&H!) and they are great, and I am a long time MIDI user, so the concepts are not new to me, but after many hours of trying I cannot get Qlab to change anything correctly on the SQ6.

My efforts have included:
    -I have read the SQ MIDI documentation and understand that it requires 4 MIDI messages from Qlab to control it directly, however:

-I have downloaded and installed A&H MIDI Control 2.0 and am using the CC Translator setting to simplify the messages I need to send (per videos I have watched and the PDF that came with the program). I have tried the Mac connected to SQ6 via USB AND/OR TCP/IP (via a router), and with both methods A&H MIDI Control app seems to recognize the SQ6.

-I have used MIDI Monitor app to snoop on my MIDI messages, and as far as I can tell, I am sending the right messages to CC Translator Inputs from Qlab. Screenshots attached showing both connection methods and the output in MIDI Monitor.

-The MIDI channel of the SQ6 is 1 (which puts DAW Control on 2, which I am not attempting at this time). When I send a message from Qlab to CC Translator Inputs on MIDI channel 1, note number 0, velocity 1 (in an attempt to MUTE IP1 of the SQ6), nothing happens. When I send that same message to MIDI channel *2*, I do get a reply message from the SQ MIDI Out, but still nothing changes. The screen shots show this as well.

-All devices are on the same subnet through the same router using Ethernet cables – no Wifi – or using USB directly. Again, SQ Mixpad works reliably via this setup, so I know the connection is working.

-I’ve even purchased a Bome Box and tried using that as directed, and everything sets up fine, but even so I also cannot get that scenario to work either, so I must be doing something wrong.

I know this is a complex topic with lots of moving parts, and explaining it over email is difficult. I’m doing my best to explain the situation!

Thanks, Jake

OrcasCenter
    Participant

Sorry, screen shots were too big, now attached:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Jake,

I see in the TCP/IP screenshot that the MIDI Control Driver isn’t connected. When using the USB connection, do you see any activity in the two squares in the corner of the driver? This indicates the data activity in and out of the driver.

The +1 DAW Control channel relates to the MIDI channel strips only. The data sent from these will always be on a separate MIDI Channel to the general mixer parameters.

I think this requires some more investigation to find where the problem is. Please go to support.allen-heath.com to submit a request. It may be helpful to update this thread once the problem is found!

Thanks

OrcasCenter
    Participant

Sorry, the screenshot wasn’t connected at that moment, but it was when I tried the experiments above. I show activity coming and going when doing other operations in SQ MixPad for example, and when I send Qlab messages, but they aren’t having any result.

I did send a message to A&H support and am wading through this with someone on your team there, but I thought I’d try here as well.

Anyone else out there controlling SQ6 from Qlab successfully?

Profile photo of MityVee
    MityVee
    Participant

…similar problem here. Not using QLab but getting messages through the Translator protocols Inputs or Outputs ports doesn’t seem to work for me either on SQ5..

MIDI Control no activity w/ CC Translator

Profile photo of MityVee
    MityVee
    Participant

Found a solution, simple fix for me it was, try any midi channel other than 1 as your consoles midi ch.
    Messages don’t seem to get through the translation ports on midi ch 1..

OrcasCenter
    Participant

Really?! You got this to work? Can you share your settings in the MIDI Control App and Qlab MIDI preferences / cue settings? Exciting!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.