Trouble setting up QU-16 network on mac

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Trouble setting up QU-16 network on mac

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of calfredson calfredson 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Hi guys,
    I’m hoping someone here understands all this networking stuff better than I do.

I have two Mac laptops and the QU-16. I have all three plugged in to a Netgear Gigabit switch and I do not have a router.

I am sending midi info from one laptop to another and that is set up and working.

I’m now trying to send midi info via the laptop to the QU-16 to change scene data, etc.

Currently I have both macs set up using DHCP. I have the QU-16 set up the same way.

I can see the two laptops in my “MIDI Network Setup” window on the mac, but I don’t see the QU-16. When I go to add it to the directory, and try to add something, I get a pop up window asking for “Name, Host, and Port”. Any tips on what I’m doing wrong? Thank you!

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

I think you can only use the rear USB port to the laptop, network port is for a wifi IPad remote

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

According to the Qu Mixer MIDI Protocol you should be able to run MIDI through the ethernet port as well, at least on a Mac where a driver (check iLive software downloads) needs to be installed. Not sure if there are plans at A&H to add support for RtpMIDI so that the Qu can be seen natively on Macs (using UDP instead of TCP).
    Using the USB connection is probably simpler to use, though.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

You can connect the Qu net port to a Mac for midi control only.
    You need to install the Mac Daw driver.
    The midi is bi-directional.
    No audio is passed though.
    In fact you can connect the USB-B AND the network port to a Mac both at the same time.
    Audio can be passed through the USB-B and control via the Net work port.
    You need to set up the Daw app in your Mac to accomodate this.
    A & H have a video of this.

Hope this helps

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sorry cannot help with your original post.
    Andreas had supplied you with the right link for midi info.

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

Nice doc and info Andreas and NZdave. Never knew about this but I have Windows so might be time for a Mac ha ha .

Profile photo of calfredson
    calfredson
    Participant

I’m curious, does the MIDI over TCP/IP only work if you are using the DAW app? I have configured a program to talk to the QU-16 over MIDI (via the USB port) using NRPN messages. I installed the driver for MIDI over TCP/IP and my program sees it as a MIDI port, but when I send the NRPN messages they are not received by the board.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.