transfering Dante over gigaACE

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions transfering Dante over gigaACE

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brad Brad 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

Hi All,

we have a dante card installed in our surface for recording and playback at FOH. if we were to get an additional dante device onstage, is there any way of transferring the dante signal to FOH vai the same cat5 cable as the gigaACE connection? I want to keep the sound network separate from the IT network, but don’t want to have to buy another dante card.

thanks in advance.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I have not tried, but it might work thru network ports in surface and rack. At least some channels (depending on tunnels bandwidth).

ddff

Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

I do remember something about linking network ports, but can’t find anything in the documentation. has anyone tried this?

thanks

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

Windsock,

Earlier this year I did a number of bandwidth measurements (including Dante) on the link, see if this answers your questions:

Bandwidth – GigaACE Network vs Direct

If you have other questions, I may be able to answer or may have to do some testing.

Jay

Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

Thanks very much for the testing Jay, I think then the simple answer is that I can run the Dante over the gigaACE, but whether is should is a question only testing will tell…

to make the link work, did you simply plug the dante network into the network ports on both the mixrack and surface?

thanks

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

Almost that easy. You have to deal with IP addressing first. The static IP’s for the console and auto-assign from Dante can’t live on the same logical network segment very well.

Option 1 (My choice) – Have DHCP running on the Management network with a block of IP’s that are compatible with the Surface/MixRack. The Dante cards will pick this up, along with your laptop, and all will play nicely.

Option 2 – Static IP’s. However, as I write this, I don’t remember if the AH Dante card allows for static (I know Yamaha doesn’t).

Once addressing is sorted out, plug it into the ports on the back. If you pay attention to my testing – anything past 2 Dante bundles will create issues.

Jay

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Yes, M-Dante card supports static IP and I would prefer this instead of DHCP so you don’t have to guess in case of troubleshooting. Or at least static lease list in the router if DHCP is chosen.

ddff

Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

Thanks for the advice Jay and ddff. a great help to someone just starting in the world of digital (never had these possibilities with our old ml3000!)

thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.