Too much spill from guitar in vocal mic HELP

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Too much spill from guitar in vocal mic HELP

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

Hi there
    My guitarist uses a Sontronics STC-80 mic for his vocals but when he’s not standing in front of his mic singing it picks up a lot of spill from his guitar amp and (I can hear it a lot through my IEMs).
    Any thoughts on how to avoid this?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Turn off the guitar amp?
    Put the amp somewhere else?

A gate is theoretically a possibility, but you need to be careful not to cut off quieter portions of singing.

coffee_king
    Participant

Turn off the guitar amp?

– I wish 🙂

Put the amp somewhere else?

I’m thinking perhaps reangling the amp might help a little.

A gate is theoretically a possibility, but you need to be careful not to cut off quieter portions of singing.

– Yeah, I do have a gate on but its obviously not getting a chance to shut off ad the guitar amp is keeping it open when he’s away from the mic. Any suggestions on Gate settings?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Optogate is designed for this, and work brilliantly. They are not that cheap though!

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/58-011_OPTOGATE-PB-05-OPTICAL-AUTOMATIC-MICROPHONE-SWITCH-Inline-case.

I have also seen a gate switched by a pressure pad on the floor – again as a solution to the same problem. Would need to be an external unit though, as we’ve no side chain available on the Qu

coffee_king
    Participant

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/58-011_OPTOGATE-PB-05-OPTICAL-AUTOMATIC-MICROPHONE-SWITCH-Inline-case

Wow, what a cool bit of kit. Is that something new or something thats been around for a while?
    As you say, bloody expensive though.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Yep – don’t have one myself, but I know slightly gadget obsessed sax player who has one!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

The guitar amp *should* be running more as a monitor, so can you fire it “backwards” at the player – then at least you get the off axis rejection from the mic…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Try putting the guitar amp on a chair or something faced at the players head/.
    Sometimes across the stage rather than facing out?
    If its a 2 speaker amp, disconnect one speaker
    Do you mic the guitar amp?
    What sort of mic do you use?
    Lots of variables to all of this!
    As Bob suggested maybe fire it backwards?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.