Too much gain issues

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Too much gain issues

This topic contains 46 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dado Dado 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dado
    Dado
    Participant

UPDATE:
    Guys, I finally got the Shure attenuator, and the problems haven’t quite gone away;
    this is what’s going on: with the attenuator the signal level was indeed lower (15,20 and 25db of attenuation) however, the distortion is still there no matter which of the three I set it to.
    Here is how it sounds with all three sets of attenuation:

Now, what I tried to do was to start off with a clean scene and there was no distortion with the signal. Added some eq, still ok. But when I added reverb (one of the mixer’s fx reverbs) it then started to tear.
    So, is there a way to setup/reroute how reverb/fx is positioned in the order of things of the QU-16, so I can avoid this from happening when adding fx?

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Dado,

This could be a hardware issue with the mixer, specifically the FX section.

You could back up your settings and try a hard reset to see if this changes the behaviour, but if it doesn’t, I recommend contacting your distributor to arrange a service.

Here’s how to perform a hard reset: https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/742
    Please note, this will remove all stored data on the mixer and restore the factory settings. So you should back up your show to a USB drive before trying this.

You can find the distributor’s contact details here: https://www.allen-heath.com/where-to-buy/

Thanks!
    Alex

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Make sure that you are not sending the reverb back into it self as in bringing up the reverb FX send on the reverb FX return.

What are the PFL levels of the reverb FX send and the FX return?

When PFL’ing those listen with head phones, see if you hear the distortion on the FX send
    or on the FX return.

Profile photo of Dado
    Dado
    Participant

Well guys I double checked everything, and it wasn’t the fx. The fx only made it worse, but even without it, the hot peaking signal was still there.
    So with less and less options to go for, this is currently my last resort, an assigned mixer for the dm20 mic, or snare only mixer 🙂

Any thoughts?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Dado

do what @alex A&H said and have your dealer check the hardware and software especially the fx.

if it is really is that the signal is too hot then bring it in the line in connector not the mike xlr input.

get a second attenuator and put it in series with the first one to cut 50dB off the input.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What I heard of your recording on my small computer speakers the dry snare sounded ok adding the FX seemed to be the issue.

Sorry if I missed it but have you tried a different input channel on the mixer?

Have you tried an different effects patch and or FX send?

On the recording you posted what was the average snare channel level both
    on the pre amp screen and when PFL’d on the main meters.

For fun try another mic on the snare, something simple like a 57 and trim the input gain to a normal level and then really start pushing the input gain to see where is starts to break up and note the input channel levels.

Profile photo of Dado
    Dado
    Participant

Reply to all:
    – Earthworks dm20 is a condenser mic, I need phantom power for it. If I go through line in, I won’t have phantom power, right?
    – I do have another mic (audix i5, and sm57) they both work ok for snare. They just don’t have the dynamic range of the dm20.
    – I did try another input (and another cable, just to be 100% sure) and got the same result.
    – The main pfl snare was in the green, and when hit just a tad harder (both normal hits) it jumps to red.

volounteer
    Participant

@Dado

You can buy external phantom power for condenser mikes.

You could try the mike without the phantom to cut gain way down.

You could not play so hard and just use the SM57.
    Not sure how dynamic range works with a drum but your problem sounds more like peak problems not DR issues.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You could try the mike without the phantom to cut gain way down.

It would cut the gain down alright…..you would get nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An external phantom power supply would work and then go into the 1/4 inch TRS line in.

You need to trim the gain back so on the hardest snare hit the input only peaks around
    +6 or so on the meter…the yellow area.
    When you say your hitting the in the red on peaks you don’t know how far your really going beyond “the red at that time.

If you need to drive the channel inputs so hot to get any level from your system you may have gain structure issues else where, either with in the mixer set up it self or external to mixer in your PA system.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

You should try it.

Many condensers will give you some signal without any phantom.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You should try it.

Many condensers will give you some signal without any phantom.

Give me a make and model number.

Condensers with an internal battery, yes.

The FET pre amp circuit in a condenser mic that takes the extremely high impedance of the condenser capsule and amplifies it is not going to pass signal without power applied.

Profile photo of Dado
    Dado
    Participant

The way I see it: the only reason I can go for external phantom is to end up directing the mic signal into line in and not have a bulky another mixer by my side.
    Then again, with a mixer near me dedicated for snare mic only, I could use that mixer for better personal IEM control, since it’s there, near me.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

For monitor mix control with the QU you can use the Qu You APP to control the mix
    that feeds your IEMS.

Profile photo of Dado
    Dado
    Participant

Of course MikeC, but I meant IEM control on a gig. This setup is for rehearsals. When we get to play somewhere, the mixer won’t be close to me. Whoever does the the job with the mixer will send me my aux, but I’d rather have them send it to the Zed-mixer first, and through it to my IEMs. That way I get to control aux volume without communicating with the sound guy, plus I can manipulate the volume of my snare in the iems.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@Dado
    Wow nice expensive mics!
    Firstly I have never used these mics.
    Have used and miked a lot of snares drums though 🙂
    I had a listen on a few PCs and also some Yamaha studio monitors.
    I also listened to the snare in this clip at 2.30 minutes
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DM20–earthworks-dm20-small-diaphragm-condenser-drum-microphone
    Can you take a pic of how close the mic is to the skin so we can see?
    Have you tried moving the mic slightly further away from the skin?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.