Testing USB B Recording

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Testing USB B Recording

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’ve just bought an 2019 Macbook pro and would like to record on it from my SQ5 over usb.
    I have the mixer connected to an external USB hub offering USB3.2 that is connected to the laptop over USB C and I’m recording in Reaper 64 on Catalina.
    I know that some users (but not all?) have issues with non USB 2.0 devices from the SQ but I would like to see if it works.

Following a suggestion I think I heard here a while back, I’m sending an 80 hz Sine wave from the SQ5 signal generator and recording that – a LR pair recorded for 1.5hrs seemed to have no issues that I can see or hear so far–
    I will now scale thus up and record 32 channels I guess..
    I thinking that each should be mono with own patch of the signal generator… and at the end should I be able to invert the phase of adjacent channels for silence throughout the recording?

Or is there a better way to stress test this recording interface?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Andy
    Waiheke NZ

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Rather than (or as well as) inverting the waveform, also try shifting it in time by 1/2 a wavelength. This will quickly show up any points in your test where anything dropped out briefly over all channels.

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Thanks Mark

How do I shift 1/2 wavelength..

When you say “This will quickly show up any points in your test where anything dropped out briefly over all channels” what should I be doing?

Thank you

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I zoom right in on the start of the tracks, then shift in time by dragging.

Then sum the two tracks together which should produce (close to) silence. But any short drop out will have spikes at each end.

At least, that’s the theory!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.