Temp of the dac, q24

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Temp of the dac, q24

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Erez
    Erez
    Participant

hello,
    When I work with my q24, it says that the Temprature of the Dac is 83 Celsius. The Cpu bored is 21.
    iS it ok?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Not sure how “precise” the displayed DAC temperature is. When I switch on my console it reads about 60 degrees, maybe an offset or totally wrong scaling. I just ignore it and mounted a small silent fan beneath my desc (to calm my paranoia)…
    The CPU temperature reading seems ok, at least it matches with other thermometers.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Erez,

The DAC sensor measures silicon temperature. This runs typically 45 deg C above room ambient air temp.
    Under normal conditions the DAC temp is expected to be 65 deg C or below, however the sensor has a +3/-3 deg C accuracy so 68 deg C could be quite normal.

If the DAC is reporting 80-85 deg C or higher, I’d recommend checking that there is nothing impeding air flow in and around the unit, no direct source of heat, and that you are operating the desk within the specified ambient temperature limits.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Thanks for the info. Just rechecked and understood that the displayed minimum temperature may be true but originates from the initial second the console switched on (23 degrees actually). Reaching the info dialog I saw the display crossing the 40 degrees margin, still rising. So, when I observed that 60 degrees I probably was a little too slow… 😉

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

When I ran 3x QU16 side by side (for a festival a year ago) in a hot white Marquee, mid summer, the DAC temperatures went to from memory, 69 with the centre QU being 71.
    I asked A & H before attempting to do this about overheating and they assured me all should be well.
    In fact from memory I thought they said every QU was tested (turned on) for 3 days before being packed and dispatched.

Profile photo of Erez
    Erez
    Participant

Nicola,
    I checked all the things you recommended and didn’t find anything. The temp is still above 80 degree. What do I do next?
    Thanks

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

What is displayed as min temperature? That one always equals ambient temperature on my desk.
    Is your desk inside a case or free standing? Also obey that air inlet is underneath the desk (that’s where I’ve placed my fan) so that area needs to be free (not qualified as a store for blankets or similar).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.