TCP MIDI Problems

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration TCP MIDI Problems

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of palumbo
    palumbo
    Participant

Greetings list!

I have tried unsuccessfully to get the A&H TCP MIDI Driver to connect to the QU-32. It’s difficult to find any documentation on this little app, and it is also only in its 1.0.0. version.

Has anyone been successful with using this driver? I try to connect but it never confirms a connection — just hangs on “connecting…”

Following this, I made various attempts to connect to the mixer using the documented sysex messages using python or node.js, and ran various packet sniffers in the terminal & processing in case I could catch any transmitted data, yet there is no indication of a response from the mixer.

Here’s what I tried:

I wrote basic TCP client scripts in Python and node.js. I confirmed that these work, using the localhost, then edited them to use the mixer’s IP address and Port (192.168.1.60 and 51325). I ran many versions of these from the command line. For the most part, the hex I’m attempting to send is the “Get System State” message on page 9 of the QU-MIDI-Protocol document

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-MIDI-Protocol-V1.82.pdf

Each time, the client timed out.

I’ve attempted each change in code by running on different machines — Mac Pro, Mac Mini (El Capitan), and MacBook Pro (Yosemite) — and using the wireless router connected to the network and also by going straight from the mixer’s “network” port to the computers’ ethernet port.

I’m also wondering if it has anything to do with the “Active Sensing” byte as mentioned on page 9 — HUI protocol has a similar message, a ping sent to the DAW and back. I’ve sent the sysex message (start, header, active sensing byte, end byte) to no avail.

Any suggestions or thoughts addressing this would be very helpful. Thanks!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Sure the Qu has a correct IP address (matching your local network)?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

From what I remember, you’d be right to suspect active sensing. You need to handle it.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I take it you d/l the TCIP driver and DAW driver?
    I used yo connect but changed my system so no longer.
    I am no midi writer [these days]how ever this post may be of use to you?

QU DAW control over ethernet El Capitan OSX 10.11.3

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

As Andreas says, can you confirm the mixer and computer are on valid, compatible IP addresses (not set to DHCP if you connect direct)?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Ah, yes, straight connection between Qu and Computer, missed that. In that case the computer likely assigned itself an AutoIP address somewhere in 169.254.x.y, so 192.168.1.60 isn’t reachable at all.
    …and for a pure TCP/IP connection you do neither need the TCP/MIDI driver nor DAW control. And if you intend to implement you own application I rather suggest to operate on TCP/IP level instead using some fancy MIDI abstraction layers from the OS.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.