tap delay for the SQ-ECHO plugin

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions tap delay for the SQ-ECHO plugin

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of er1cnl
    er1cnl
    Participant

pretty please?

I know it’s modelled after the Space Echo RE-201 from 1974-1990, which didn’t have a tap function, but we’re living in another century now with more digital options and digital needs, and I would love to not have to lug my BOSS RE-20 pedal with me all the time just for this function 😉

also: wasn’t there a tap-function in the first screenshots of this plugin when Allen & Heath first presented it?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

also: wasn’t there a tap-function in the first screenshots of this plugin when Allen & Heath first presented it?

No. It just was the name of a preset from the Tap delay
    we already discussed this, some weeks ago

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

It would be nice I agree. I love using this on more retro Motown, Soul or Funk gigs as it’s much better suited than the standard delay but find myself not using it because of this.
    The Bucket Brigade Delay is an alternative that does follow tap – but watch out for chipmunk type effects if changing time during a song!!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Yep, this was discussed a couple of times fairly recently:

FX delay regen

tape echo

(though I appreciate this separate topic may have been created as both of those are in general discussions…)

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of er1cnl
    er1cnl
    Participant

sure, but there is a difference between a discussion thread and a feature request, right?

I did see the thread in the General Discussion area, where you said “It would be good to add tap tempo for Echo to the feature suggestions section”, so that’s why I put it in this section of the forum as well, because yes, I do think more people would want this feature…

so now there’s room for “+1” posts 😉

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

+1 from my side.
    It can be also overdone when such a device is emulated by software. Whats‘s next? Should we replace the emulated tape in the emulated tape echo every now and then just because we have to do that with the original device? Ordo we have in future the need to replace the virtual tubes in the tube preamp? Hmm.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@er1cnl – absolutely, hence the comment to imply exactly that!

I wouldn’t say this would never happen, but to repeat…. or echo…. (sorry) from one of the threads linked to:

Presumably you are asking about this because you might expect to be able to tap in a tempo and have repeats match that tempo.
    However, the echo uses 3 virtual heads which can be switched on/off in different combinations, each with their own min/max value that you are scaling with the time control.
    Therefore, linking tap tempo to, say, the first head would not give you what you might expect with the second and would only make some sense in the modes that include that first head.
    The differences in timing between the virtual heads are also a big part of the sound.

Echo is designed to give a smeary, spacey, thick echo effect, not exact tap tempo’d repeats.
    The Stereo Tap delay and BBD already have this covered

Cheers,
    Keith.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.