Talk back / live mic (backing vocals from console )

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Talk back / live mic (backing vocals from console )

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Terry Terry 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gardacus (Mike)
    Gardacus (Mike)
    Participant

Hello all

I am in quite a unique situation that I am both technician AND backing vocalist.

I have 2 questions regarding this.

1. Is it possible to “fixate” the head phone output to a monitor mix, so I don’t have to switch from L/R (FOH) to my monitor group, losing possible Talk Back (as that is only sent to monitor mix).
    I suspect the answer is no, and I can only use a separate output in the back with a head phone amp, use a second in-ear or so. But it is worth tryhing.

2. More importantly. My head-set mic is on local channel 4. I also assigned talk back to that mic, but now have to mute myself on L/R to avoid talkback being heard over the FOH. Is is possible to make/program some kind of toggle? So that when I push the TALK, it mutes the mic for FOH? Would be nice if that is possible if a mic AND talkback are assigned on the same channel.
    Or is there a better workaround? And then not having to use 2 microphones, because that I can figure out 😉

Thanks guys!

Regards

Mike

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Maybe an external XLR selector foot switch would to select where you mic output
    is routed to.
    Something like this……https://www.whirlwindusa.com/products/black-boxes-effects-and-dis-miclineinst-switchers-selector-xl

With a creative foot switch you could use the SQ’s internal foot switch option
    to control muting your mic channel and activating the talk back mode.

Profile photo of Gardacus (Mike)
    Gardacus (Mike)
    Participant

Food for thought

Thanks Mike C

Profile photo of Terry
    Terry
    Participant

I don’t sing, but have a talkback system set up similar to what you are looking for. My TB mic goes into a local socket and is routed to two channels. One channel goes to the stage mix(es) so the musicians can hear me. The second channel goes to a powered speaker at the A2/SM station (we have no coms system) so I can speak to the folks backstage. The channel going to the stage is muted using a foot switch (Boss FS6) so I can turn it on/off without being on the same layer as the fader – very useful on an SQ5. The A2/SM has a mic going to a powered speaker at FOH so I can hear her.

The second side of the foot switch is most often set to mute the FX sends DCA.

Profile photo of Tyler
    Tyler
    Participant

I use a pedal board button called Panic Button. It has 1 input and two outputs. So this way just take one input out of the house and only in the inear mixes for talkback. Then put the other input in the house. Instead of hitting talkback and doing that you just hit the button and it switches channels. You can get it at sweet water and other places like that too. Quick shipping. This does take away an input instead of using the talkback input, but maybe you could figure out how to still use that in a workaround. Either way the original way seems to be a solution.Id appreciate you check out my post I just posted, maybe you have some wisdom for me hahaha

Profile photo of Terry
    Terry
    Participant

Tyler, you don’t really lose an input because the Talkback socket can be routed like any other local input, while also retaining it’s specific TB functions. In combination with a foot switch and/or soft key, it’s a very useful tool.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.